Reply To: Best house design for my property?

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Best house design for my property? Reply To: Best house design for my property?

River
Participant
  • Topics started 4
  • Replies 28
  • Total Posts 32

Hi Duck,

Linda Violett designed the 2-Hole Mansion for her native Western Bluebirds, so it’s a fairly large (and heavy) box with its 31.6 square inch floor. For Eastern Bluebirds (Linda affectionately calls them “pygmy bluebirds”) and other small cavity nesters like Tree Swallows, Chickadees, Nuthatches, etc., you can go smaller, from the 15 square inch Gilwood up to the more common 22 square inch boxes like the Xbox, NABS, etc.

A common misconception is that the 2-Hole Mansion should be hung in a tree. It works just fine as a pole mount. Conversely, just about any box can be hung from a tree limb. I say “just” because lifting and retrieving a really heavy box with a painter’s pole extended to 14 feet is, to put it mildly, an athletic endeavor.

I wrote a piece on hanging boxes that’s published on my website, Nestboxbuilder.com. This article was put together with the help of the three most knowledgeable hanging box experts out there, Linda Violett, Dick Purvis and Lee Pauser. It’s written from the perspective of a raw beginner, which I was at the time. This season, I have twenty boxes hanging from tree limbs all over the county. I’m well out of my rookie season with hanging boxes, but there’s a lot yet to learn.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by River.

Fred
Waleska, GA
NestboxBuilder