3rd nesting this year- concerned about heat!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter 3rd nesting this year- concerned about heat!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Love my blues!
    Participant

Hi All- haven’t been on in awhile- need to catch up. Hope all are doing well & so sorry for those that have had bad nesting seasons.

I’m in AL & have been very lucky to have had 2 successful broods fledge this year (11 total). Surprisingly, they’ve completed their 3rd nest for another go. I was really hoping they wouldn’t nest again because we are approaching 97-100 degrees here with a higher heat index. My box is not in the direct sun & faces South. It’s a newer well-insulated box, but I’m going to add the styrofoam/spacers/bungee shield. Is there anything else that I can do? This is pretty late to nest in this area.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nicole

:BonkOwnHead:

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

Nicole, sounds like you are doing it right with 2 successful nestings. Wow, to have another nest going this late there in AL would be pretty hot for them – additional heat shields would be good for sure, but you should be okay if they are not in direct sun. Do you use spookers, wren guards & baffles for the crawling critters? Congrats the success so far and good luck. Do have a question, you mention your box is a “newer well insulated” one – is the insulation for cold or heat, i.e. where is the insulation & what is it made of? Did you buy it this way?

Love my blues!
        Participant

Thank you, Carol! First egg today & tons of juvie HOSP around. Put a gigantic heat shield up with spooker today. Nervous about this one…

By well-insulated box, I’m using the terms that Wild Birds Unlimited uses, which is where I got it. It’s a particular type of wood with thicker walls, nice-sized vents, & opening on each side. WBU guy didn’t think I should worry about the shield, but wanted to do what I could. These birds are wearing me out!!

Nicole

Carol – Mid-Mo.
          Participant

Nicole, your box sounds very good – thick wood & good air vents, which is how we build our boxes. But in a very hot area and especially if they are in direct sun (all four of mine are), I truly believe the shields are needed – but just my thoughts. I know my first year I had 4 babies just die in the box in July, all at the same time, and although I suspected pesticide poisoning (all dying at once), it could have been heat related because I did not know about heat shields. Great you have your 1st egg – my pair finally have 3 eggs and she began incubating yesterday. I have to be more concerned about the wren than the HOSP on this one!

Love my blues!
            Participant

Good luck with yours, Carol! Second egg here today. Going to be 100 several days in a row next week. Hope they can survive it. Ugh!

Nicole

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.