Bluebird or HOSP nest?? NEED OPINIONS!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Bluebird or HOSP nest?? NEED OPINIONS!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant

I always get a little confused on this – my blues have switched to scouting this Gilwood box as opposed to the one closer to the house which I had posted pic of about a week ago. This box is a lot farther away so I don’t always see what is going on, but I have seem them at it several times. I first thought it was a HOSP nest, as they are definitely around also, but I thought it looked a little too neat for HOSP – need opinions here so I can take it out if HOSP is the most likely. All the other HOSP nests I have removed (after trapping) were a lot more messy than this one. Use the view zoom feature to see closer.
      BB orHOSP

BrendaV
      Participant

Ya…that ones hard. HOSP is not my first thought…but also not outside the realm of possibility…give it a bit more time before pulling it. I lean towards a blue though as that looks to fine and ‘nice’ for a HOSP. (but I have been tricked before…)

The Original Bluebird Nut
        Admi-nut-strator

Really too soon to tell. Give it a bit more time. You will eventually see who’s going in and out. If it does turn out to be a HOSP, you can use the Van Ert on the box to catch him before removing the nest.

Central NY
          TMB Studios

Bobs Farm
          Participant

Carol,

Any updates on the nest situation. You have peeked my interest to see what it is.

Carol – Mid-Mo.
            Participant

Nothing really new – we have had a very cold spell the past two days so not much bird activity. When I checked about 2 days ago, the nesting material was the same. I do see my pair of blues around this box, but then I also see them on 2 others, also. This is a fairly new pair, only 3rd year I believe for them. They have a habit of building about 2 or 3 nests before choosing which one to lay eggs in, which means they have only had 2 broods a year. My previous pair I had 6 years ALWAYS had 3 broods, and just built one nest at a time. I’d like to teach this pair to read the rules on nesting!!! I have trapped about 4 HOSP at a different box, and have them claiming one box right now, but I am waiting for a new female to show up before I set trap again. At least, that’s what I actually see, but then these birds are very sneaky!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.