Bluebirds building a 2nd nest!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Bluebirds building a 2nd nest!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dana
    Participant
    • Topics started 33
    • Replies 132
    • Total Posts 165

The bluebirds babies just fledged yesterday and I checked the nestbox this afternoon and mama blue already has a new nest half built! I’ve never been lucky to have them build a new nest THIS soon – just a day after the babies fledge. Is this normal? I’m super stoked over this! :woohoo:

Dana
    Lancaster, PA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 80
    • Replies 811
    • Total Posts 891

Wow, no this is not normal at all! However, that does not mean they will lay eggs immediately, don’t believe they will do this. My pair built a new nest about 10 days after fledging, and this was pretty early I thought. But they did wait about 3 days before 1st egg was laid. Boy, they all are anxious to populate this year seems like.

verachuckdave
    Participant
    • Topics started 23
    • Replies 184
    • Total Posts 207

I wonder what’s up with the quick nests this year? My couple was hard at work three days after the babies fledged. The nest looked beautiful and complete on Saturday. I checked the nest about an hour ago, but there were no eggs.

Susan
    Pennsylvania

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 4
    • Replies 636
    • Total Posts 640

Know what, Dana? It’s unusual but I wouldn’t say abnormal. Each pair has an individual timetable.

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Mine was at it 7 days post fledge.

Dana
    Participant
    • Topics started 33
    • Replies 132
    • Total Posts 165

Thank you all for your replies! I looked in the nestbox today and the bluebird nest is totally ready and completed! It looks as if she ready to lay eggs again soon. I’m just amazed they started building a new nest one day after the babies fledged, not to mention happy! Both the male and female are still feeding the fledglings. Will keep you all posted as to when the 1st egg appears. This will be possibly their 3rd brood they may be working on since they were still feeding fledgelings from the 1st brood while tending to the 2nd brood that just fledged…and it’s still only June!

Dana
    Lancaster, PA

Brad
    Participant
    • Topics started 5
    • Replies 58
    • Total Posts 63

Have bluebirds ever been known to have 4 broods?

Sassy
    Participant
    • Topics started 47
    • Replies 371
    • Total Posts 418

Dana, that is fantastic. I am so very happy for you and all the other birders that are having such success this year. Keep us informed on how things go. The population is growing quickly this year.
    Connie (PA) :wow:

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 4
    • Replies 636
    • Total Posts 640

Have bluebirds ever been known to have 4 broods?

Yep!

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

Dana
    Participant
    • Topics started 33
    • Replies 132
    • Total Posts 165

Thanks Connie! I checked the nest this afternoon and the 1st egg has been layed!

Dana
    Lancaster, PA

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Mine always try for 3 but start in February and historically have lost at least one nest. Thrilled that the weather has remained not too terrible and my last 3 should fledge in a few days. Now, if they tried again I would be really worried…

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Unfortunately looking at July 3-4 fledge and I pray all of the firecrackers don’t disorient or upset them…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.