David

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by tamsea tamsea 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

David, how familiar are you with trees. I’m looking for a tree or shrub to put in front of my house in a 13 feet spot next to my door. Do you have any thoughts about this? Something that doesn’t grow to 25 feet and it can’t spread much because the area is about 13 x 13. Is this something you have experience with?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by tamsea tamsea.

Tammy

David in Stafford,VADavid in Stafford,VA
    Participant
    • Topics started 31
    • Replies 371
    • Total Posts 402

Where are you located?

David
    Stafford, VA

Participant
    • Topics started 31
    • Replies 371
    • Total Posts 402

Several trees might do well in the small plot. The conical Arborvitae might be a good choice if you are looking for an easy plant to care for. it can be trimmed to keep a manageable height. The Emerald Green Arborvitae usually spreads 3-4 feet and reaches a height of 12-15 feet
    I personally like the Japanese Maple. Depending on the variety that you buy, it can grow to 25-30 feet. The dwarf varieties can be managed to 10-15 feet. Be careful of extreme heat with them.
    The Eastern Redbud is also a nice tree for a small space.
    Rose of Sharon is a nice flowering shrub that can be pruned to a single trunk-like form. It is a Hibiscus and the flowers remind me of small hollyhocks.
    Dwarf Crepe Myrtle might be a nice choice depending on how far north you are. Zone 5 is probably max. It grows very well in the south.
    I can do some additional research if you can tell me what growth zone you are in.
    David

David
    Stafford, VA

tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

oops..sorry. I’ve been distracted lately. Toledo Ohio area. 5b
    We thought about a Japanese Maple. We don’t want red though because our brick is red. I’m not sure how the Crepe Myrtle would do here. I don’t see it in the nurseries that I know of. But I’ll look up more Japanese Maples and the Rose of Sharon. The Arborvitae don’t do anything for me.
    Any Eastern Red Buds that seem on the smaller side that you know of?
    What is your gardening expertise? Is it vegetables, landscaping or what? (So I can ask you more questions. ;) )

Tammy

Participant
    • Topics started 31
    • Replies 371
    • Total Posts 402

Hi Tammy,

I am not a professional landscaper or gardener. My degree is in Biology but I have not used it for a long time. I am mostly a hobbyist. I research trees and plants before I use them in my yard.

I understand your concern about the Japanese Maple. How fare from the house is this small plot. I have seen the Redbuds shaped to a narrow, upright tree. It would depend on how much pruning work you want to put into maintaining the shape. I also like Hollies. There are several varieties that grow conical or can be trimmed to a tall “hedge-like shape. I like them because they provide cover and the berries for birds. I have a shrub called a Burning Bush. It can get to 10-12 ft tall and has a nice green appearance in the spring and summer, and then turns a fiery red in the fall. it, too, has little red berries that attract cardinals, juncos and other birds in the late fall and winter. But again it is red. You also should check your local nurseries for their recommendations on the trees and shrubs that grow best in your area. I know that Lake Erie weather can be brutal in the winter. I lived in Erie, PA during my high school years.

David
    Stafford, VA

tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

By expertise, I didn’t mean that literally…but just what you had experience in. Thanks for your suggestions. I didn’t know that about a redbud. A redbud was initially one we were considering. I don’t want anything hedge looking there but will think about the other suggestions. i have a burning bush. I’ll go out and look at that. I know that some shrubs you can make into a multi stem tree look so that might be an option for me. Thanks!!!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by tamsea tamsea.

Tammy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.