Deluxe Repeating Sparrow Trap Information

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Deluxe Repeating Sparrow Trap Information

This topic contains 171 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  ruthcatrin 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 166 through 172 (of 172 total)
  • Author
    tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

What are you using for bait? This does happen quite often to me too.

Tammy

ruthcatrin
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 11
    • Total Posts 11

White millet. And while its near the mealworm feeder its no where near any of the other feeders.

tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

I’m sorry this is happening. White millet is what I use too. Some people swear by white bread. And that doesn’t seem to attract the natives. You could try that. Crumble it up. Raising the platform off the ground might help with the white crowned. It seems odd that you caught a downy. I only caught birds like that when I put in Suet to catch Starlings. Let me know how it goes. The goldfinch like bird could have been a pine warbler? or maybe a female oriole? or pine siskin?

Tammy

ruthcatrin
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 11
    • Total Posts 11

Its on a platform over foot off the ground, though the grass around it needs to be cut (its been to wet to mow). The downy and the Orioles are whats really getting me. I did show my husband the female orioles and he says they’re bigger than what he removed from the trap. I’m leaning towards one of the yellow warblers, we have a couple of them here. I don’t have suet out at all. At least you’ve confirmed that I’ve not forgotten something major. I was standing by the window when the two female Orioles hopped into it. They literally flew down, landed on it, and then one after the other went in! WTH?! Oh well.

tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

That’s pretty unusual…orioles and woodpeckers. But I think it will calm down some because some of the species are migrating through. You can try bread. Some people swear by it.

Tammy

tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

Maybe move it somewhere else for now and see if that helps. Just trying to brainstorm.

Tammy

ruthcatrin
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 11
    • Total Posts 11

Yah, I think I’ve caught what I’m going to catch in this location anyway, I’ve been debating moving it.

Viewing 7 posts - 166 through 172 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.