Female found dead

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Female found dead

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Carol – Mid-Mo. 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Craig Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics started 3
    • Replies 3
    • Total Posts 6

Bluebird pair begins clutch #3 this summer but I find her dead under an oak after she’d laid egg #3. Should I clean out the nest box? The male is still in his territory. Not sure how she died.

Sigh………

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 69
    • Replies 688
    • Total Posts 757

Oh, how sad – it’s sad anytime but just after laying 3 eggs and not being able to see the results is heartbreaking – BUT things do happen! Any idea what happened to her – any signs of trauma or cat fur? I lost one like this several years ago and know for almost a fact that it was the neighbor’s cat which I had seen by the box, but there was no remains of the bird for me to identify- just fur & feathers. Not sure about cleaning out the box – maybe wait a day or so to see if papa finds a fill-in? This would probably be a long shot, but maybe . . . . .

Rich K
    Participant
    • Topics started 20
    • Replies 55
    • Total Posts 75

This happened to my neighbor on second brood. She was hit by a car after laying one egg. We waited a week but no luck. I think the pair I got shortly after that were like the Male with a new Mrs.!!

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 4
    • Replies 627
    • Total Posts 631

It’s sad but I would at least take the eggs out the box. If he finds another female she’s not going to incubate them. All that is if you are absolutely positive that the dead female you found is the mated one.

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

Sassy
    Participant
    • Topics started 39
    • Replies 301
    • Total Posts 340

Craig, I too am sorry to hear about the female Bluebird. I lost one either last year or the year before but I feel it was injured by a raccoon by the paw prints that were left on the white fence. I never did find her but she never returned.
    Better luck next time.
    Connie (PA)

agpiowa
    Participant
    • Topics started 3
    • Replies 21
    • Total Posts 24

I lost a female one year and she was incubating eggs. The male was in and out of the box looking for her so I left them in there as we were headed out of town for 10 days. When I got back he had found another female and they had started nesting in one of my other boxes so I was happy and sad at the same time. I removed the 1st female’s nest. I think a racoon got to her but not sure. Bluebird life moves on.

agp in Iowa

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 69
    • Replies 688
    • Total Posts 757

Another “Tales of long ago”. I had an incubating mama go missing in 2011. I had been checking on eggs about every other day and all was fine until I noticed she was not going in the box. There were 4 eggs in the box. I just left them alone and checked on them the next day – still there. BUT low and behold either the very next day or day after, I saw one egg that looked pierced but others were fine, so don’t believe it was a wren. By the next day there were 3 babies hatched – this meant they hatched without any incubationn for at least two days and possibly three days! Yes, it was summer and fairly hot weather. I watched almost 24-7 to see if papa was going to try to take care of them, but nothing – never even saw him around. I got in touch with a rehaber in Kansas City (about 60 miles away, but she gave me almost no hope of them surviving the trip. So the next day I opened up box to find 2 dead and other two almost dead. So I had to make the gut-wrenching decision to take them out and bury them in my garden. So much for Mother Nature!

agpiowa
    Participant
    • Topics started 3
    • Replies 21
    • Total Posts 24

How sad Carol! It’s too bad Dad didn’t stay with them or maybe something happened to him too. I’ve had so many heartbreakers over the years it’s hard to even talk about them. I am so glad this year is going well although I think one of the fledglings from my first nest got eaten by a cat. I was out of town but it looked like it’s remains on the ground about 20 feet from the box. I’ve seen the other four however so I know they made it.

agp in Iowa

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 69
    • Replies 688
    • Total Posts 757

Glad your year is going better this year, agp. Yes, cats (not mine) and bluebirds are another story I could tell.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.