Finally back (Me and the blues!!!)

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Finally back (Me and the blues!!!)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Countrygirl
    Participant
    • Topics started 6
    • Replies 40
    • Total Posts 46

I Never had wrens previously which is why we did not have a wren guard. I did find eggs on the ground and there were sticks/dummy nest so – it was definitely wrens . I don’t mount anything on wooden poles – metal pole with a baffle. All evidence points to wren… i would put a guard up if the blues do lay again. They are hanging out and i think papa blue had some additional nesting material today soo fingers crossed…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Countrygirl.
    Chris
    Participant
    • Topics started 19
    • Replies 62
    • Total Posts 81

I don’t have any advice but sorry about your loss. I think there is still time for another bluebird’s nest.

I remember in year’s past, i had a BB nest destroyed, eggs tossed out – i blamed sparrows but in retrospect that was probably wrens.

Chris
    SW Ohio

David in Stafford,VADavid in Stafford,VA
    Participant
    • Topics started 56
    • Replies 605
    • Total Posts 661

Courtney, so sorry to hear this news. Yes, wrens are determined pests – but if you keep removing their nesting material they will eventually give up. I would remove the BB nest and let them start a fresh nest. You said that you have another box out there. They might start building their new nest in there.
    You will normally put up the wren guard after the female blue lays the first egg. Has anyone used the wren guard prior to the first egg?
    Good luck on the next try.

David
    Stafford, VA

Countrygirl
    Participant
    • Topics started 6
    • Replies 40
    • Total Posts 46

Hey all i suck at updates right haha
    Ok soooo we ended up clearing the sticks and leaving the blues original nest. They added a few more grasses to the Taj Mahal and laid 4 eggs!! Anxious for hatching

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 107
    • Replies 1044
    • Total Posts 1151

Glad to her you have new eggs & hope the wrens leave that nest alone. Do you have any kind of wren guard on the box? It would be good if the wren tried to nest in your extra box & then let them continue building THEIR nest & you can remove some of it (just to let them know that is their box) – keeps them busy and away from your blues nest. Just don’t wait too long or they will lay an egg.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.