Fledglings in the trees today

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Fledglings in the trees today

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My young birds have left the nestbox. I know at least 4 are out and possibly 5. I thought I had 5 live ones in the box but when I checked the box a few minutes ago I found a tiny blue egg at the bottom of the nest. It actually looks smaller than a bluebird egg. So until I see the young ones come back to the mealworm feeder, I will just report the 4.
    I will clean the box tomorrow as it was stating to rain now.

David
    Stafford, VA

blue diamonds
    Participant

Good news David. It is so fun to see the fledglings out and about for the first time. I have in the past found an egg in the bottom of the nest, always wondered if it was intentional or by accident.

Judy – Michigan

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

Yeah David – isn’t that a relief when they fledge, knowing you have done all you could and the rest now (except for little extra feeding) is up to parents & fledglings. Mine have been gone about 5 days now – see parents taking worms up to the trees but have not actually seen the babies much – too many tree limbs and leaves. Can’t wait to see them come to the worm bowl!

Thanks Judy and Carol. Yes, it is good to have them out of the box and into the trees. This weather streak of warm like summer and then chilly like late fall or late winter has bee a real bother. I had thought about putting up the insulation cover that I made last year to try to mitigate some of the very chilly nights but I didn’t do it. Hopefully these 40 degree nights will warm up.

David
        Stafford, VA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.