Freeze warnings

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Freeze warnings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant

Here in Mid-Missouri we have freeze warnings out for tomorrow night (Tuesday Apr. 20) and Wednesday nights. I have 5 eggs being incubated and am concerned about these effects on eggs, even though mama blue is doing good job of incubating. I have an e-mail out to Bet Zimmerman (Smith) (author of the Sialis.org website) about this matter and hope she replies so I can plan. I know I have to cover up some plants but am worried about these eggs, which will be about 5 days from hatching. I was thinking the easiest thing to do is cover up the ventilation holes – could try to put some insulation wrap around the box but fear this would keep mama off the nest too long.

Ideas?

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

Bet did respond to my plea – but most information was geared for hatched (baby) blues, not a whole lot on just eggs. To be on the safe side I will be spending most of my time tomorrow covering up some flowers (clematis vines, rose bushes mostly) and closing up the ventilation opening on my bird house where the 5 eggs are. I will have to be quick about this procedure so that mama blue will not lose too much time away from the nest. Will do this when I bring out the mealworms in the morning.

phillyblues
        Participant

They sell foambard insulation at home depot and lowes. It is easy to cut up with a blade. Perhaps you could stick some pieces of it on the box exterior?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-Panels-FOAMULAR-1-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-R-5-Small-Projects-Rigid-Pink-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-PP1/203553730

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by phillyblues.
          Carol – Mid-Mo.
          Participant

Thanks, Phillyblues – Have none of these good good stores in my area, although I do have some regular styrofoam pieces I could attach – problem is with 5 eggs inside I won’t want to do too much jiggling of the box – believe I can close up the ventilation slots pretty quick and with not much movement. The forecast for tomorrow night is just 34 degrees – the next night is lower at 28 degrees and then 31 on Wednesday night. I maybe will consider putting on some of the styrofoam some time tomorrow – depends on mama blue and her attitude about me fooling around with the box.

Carol, I made a 4-sided (2 sides, back and top) from 1/2″ Styrofoam that I had from shipping boxes. I glued the sides together, then covered those sides with pieces of cardboard. I had measured he foam pieces very carefully to get a good tight fit. I used a couple dabs of Elmer’s glue to attach it to the nest box. The glue is water soluble and washed right off after I took the foam down. No photos of this one.

David
            Stafford, VA

Sassy
            Participant

Hi Carol:
              We are in for the same kind of weather, freezing cold tonight temps in the high 20’s. We has snow last night and a prediction of frost the following two mornings.
              We covered the four sides of the box in 1” styrofoam insulation, just holding them on With two rubber hair bands that fit around the whole box. Hope it works.
              Connie (PA)

Chris
              Participant

We had three inches of snow overnight here in ohio. Not as much frost damage as i expected, maybe the snow cover helped. May not be as lucky tonight. Last spring we didnt have snow but hard freezes later than expected.

Don’t have a nesting pair, but I do have my one female bluebird gobbling up mealworms. I’ve wondered if there is a way of electrically heating a birdhouse but havent figured out a solution.

Chris

Carol – Mid-Mo.
                Participant

David, Connie & Chris – hope all our activities to beat this cold streaks work – we can do only the best we can and Mother Nature better look out – we are here! My five eggs are due to hatch in two days – mama blue has been doing a great job of only being off the nest for a very short time – only enough to eat a few worms, buzz around a little and then back to the nest.

By the way, Chris, don’t believe an electric heater for a nestbox would be a good idea – just my thought – there may be something out there like this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.