Good Morning all

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Good Morning all

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by tamsea tamsea 2 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ReneeinWinslow
    Participant
    • Topics started 11
    • Replies 36
    • Total Posts 47

First, I’d like to wish everyone a Happy Mother’s Day! A few nesting reports I’d like to share. We had such a long cold Spring that it seems that most of the birds were delayed in starting their nestings. Except for the Robin she built her nest in the Redbud tree which was practically bare of cover. But so far she is having success with at least two nestlings to care for.

A Chipping Sparrow nested in the Dwarf Alberta Spruce tree. I never did a check on this since I didnt discover this nesting until it was too close to fledgling.

Finally, after last year’s failure and a few previous years absence before that the Bluebirds are back with 5 babies which are just a few days old. Box is protected with spooker and guard both.

The Chickadees are nesting in the Gilbertson PVC box with five eggs that should have hatched either yesterday or the day before.

Now for the best news the Prothonorary Warblers are again nesting in Fred’s Hexagon nestbox desgin (Fred they seem to really prefer this box). The female laid her first egg yesterday. In desperation (because of a House Wren heard singing off in the distance) I put a Wren Guard on the box after my nest check. I am happy to report that this morning I watch as the female, after several attempts, entered the box. So hopefully the nest will be protected from those little #%@*$ House Wrens.

A Mourning Dove nested in the Spruce tree but it is up too high for any nest checks.

Well thats it for now.

When The New Wears Off The Old Shines Through.

ReneeinWinslow
    Participant
    • Topics started 11
    • Replies 36
    • Total Posts 47

Dee babies have hatched and the Prothonorary Warbler laid her second egg. Whew, success!

When The New Wears Off The Old Shines Through.

Dana
    Participant
    • Topics started 17
    • Replies 84
    • Total Posts 101

Hi Renee,
    It sounds like you have one busy yard full of nesting birds, how wonderful! Do you get western and mountain bluebirds where you’re at? Which species is nesting in your nestbox. I’m just curious. I’m in PA. We only get the eastern bluebirds here. I find all 3 species beautiful.

Dana
    Lancaster, PA

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 2
    • Replies 550
    • Total Posts 552

Renee, they are SO busy there! So much fun!! Yay for your PROW!

I do have dees about to fledge but that’s it and maybe all for this year. I do love it when they are successful because they so seldom are.

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

Sassy
    Participant
    • Topics started 11
    • Replies 125
    • Total Posts 136

Wow Renee, that is great news. You are so lucky having so many nesting pairs. Four boxes here and nothing in any of them. Weather has not been great, but maybe it is just a lack of birds of this year. Not sure which. Congrats on your success.
    Connie (PA)

tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 20
    • Replies 597
    • Total Posts 617

Renee. Wow!…a Prothonotary again! I would love to have one. How many years ago did you have your first one make a nest in your box? It seems like yesterday but I bet it was quite a few years ago. I remember that time.

Tammy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.