Haven't seen Male since eggs were laid

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Haven't seen Male since eggs were laid

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kaiterpup
    Participant

The female has been incubating for about 10-12 days, but since the eggs were laid I haven’t seen the male at all. Is this normal, or has he left? This is my first time with bluebirds; a few months before they occupied the house I had tree swallows. The male swallow was ALWAYS around and very protective of the nest and would swoop down at me if I even came close to it (which made mowing the yard super fun). So, not seeing the bluebird male is concerning. Also, is it common for bluebirds to start making a nest in July? I thought that was also strange.
      I appreciate any feedback.
      :bluebird:

*** I did put up a sparrow spooker – would this have scared him off?

• This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by kaiterpup.
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by kaiterpup.
      Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

You have probably just missed seeing papa, but that the mama is incubating is a good sign. IF the daddy is truly gone, she will be able to raise the babies by herself, although it will be difficult – helping by feeding mealworms would be beneficial to her. It is not uncommon for the papa to seem to disappear while she is incubating, although he should be seen around some, usually guarding the nest. It is important for the mama to accept the spooker, and it apparently she has. I really believe he is still around unless you have true reason to believe otherwise. Are you able to really watch for him a lot? As far as a nest in July, my pair did have their 3rd nest in late June, and they just recently fledged about 5 days ago. Your location would determine this I imagine. P.S. Yes the TRES will definitely dive bomb you a lot more than the blues. Very common.

Lisa
        Participant

I’ve never had nests in July in Alabama until this year. Never. Now just hatched yesterday in august for a fourth nesting. It’s an unusual year for many of us!

Brad
          Participant

My male is pretty absent during incubation. He shows back up for feeding after they hatch. I would guess all is well.

verachuckdave
            Participant

I guess my papa bluebird should be up for “bluebird husband of the year.” That bird is the most attentive guy in the world. He is always around. After the first group of eggs was laid, he routinely went to the house to “check” on the eggs and even took worms to mama when she was in the house. After they fledged, he tended the babies while mama worked on the second nest. When she laid the second group of eggs, he again checked on her regularly, fed her, and took care of the first brood!

My second group of five just fledged yesterday, so none of the birds are in sight. I hope they keep the babies under cover longer this time so that they have a better chance against predators.

Susan
              Pennsylvania

Lisa
              Participant

My papa is a huge contender too!
                He is gorgeous but it took him forever to find a mate. He would stand on the fence wagging worms for weeks.
                Once he found his bride, he has treated her like a queen.
                He takes amazing care of the babies after they fledge.
                He brings her worms while she is incubating.
                He bombs me every chance I get.
                He is the best papa blue I ever had!
                Yay for yours Susan!

verachuckdave
                Participant

It’s funny how they can be so different. Sounds like we both got gems this year. :-)

Susan
                  Pennsylvania

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.