HELP!!!! Egg dilemna

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter HELP!!!! Egg dilemna

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #8973
    Rich K
    Participant
    • Topics started 53
    • Replies 81
    • Total Posts 134

    So, Momma laid her last egg April 14th. They are still not hatched. Do you think all 4 eggs are not viable? Not sure if to remove the nest. She is still brooding them. We did have a cold spell like everyone else. I feel sick.

    #8974
    Chris
    Participant
    • Topics started 19
    • Replies 66
    • Total Posts 85

    i can relate to the sick feeling. But – i would be patient, if she is still brooding them. It may be just taking longer because of the cold weather we have been having. Sialis website says usually 12 to 14 days, but it could be longer (google said up to 20 days.) I would feel even sicker if i thought i had thrown out a viable egg.

    Chris

    #8987
    David in Stafford,VA
    Participant
    • Topics started 57
    • Replies 615
    • Total Posts 672

    Good advice Chris. The cold weather has had an affect on my birds also (delay of a day +. We got hit by the same cold snap that you had o possibly a little warmer but 4 days of night time temps in the mid 30s and lo 40s and day temps around 50.
    Rich – as long as she is still brooding they still may be viable.

    David
    Stafford, VA

    #8989
    Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 110
    • Replies 1057
    • Total Posts 1167

    Good advise from everyone – don’t give up yet – if she is still incubating in a few more days I would be more worried.

    #9004
    Sassy
    Participant
    • Topics started 54
    • Replies 416
    • Total Posts 470

    Hi Rich, I hope 🤞 you have better news to report soon. It is nerve wracking waiting for things to happen. I expected my brood to fledge in 17 days but it was 20, so I think this see-saw weather has things messed up. Keep us informed.
    Connie

    #9015
    Rich K
    Participant
    • Topics started 53
    • Replies 81
    • Total Posts 134

    Still not hatched. She is still brooding them. Pappa was active a lot yesterday in the yard and I was hopeful. I just don’t get this. Maybe she removed the previous eggs and laid 4 more but that is highly unlikely. I would think instinct would kick in and she would abandon them if they were not viable. I did contact NABS and they suggested waiting a full 30 days before removing the eggs. I feel awful, like I personally did something wrong but that is not the case. First time this has ever happened to me.
    On a bright note, a friend who’s box I set up for this year has a nest. He is thrilled.
    Keeping the faith here.

    #9017
    David in Stafford,VA
    Participant
    • Topics started 57
    • Replies 615
    • Total Posts 672

    That is about all that you can do right now, Rich. Keep us posted on the news.

    David
    Stafford, VA

    #9022
    blue diamonds
    Participant
    • Topics started 30
    • Replies 289
    • Total Posts 319

    Sorry to hear about your unhatched eggs……still hoping for the best. You never know sometimes these bluebirds really surprise us.

    Best wishes,
    Judy – Michigan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.