Late Second Nesting

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Late Second Nesting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BZ–W Ctrl MO
    Participant
    • Topics started 14
    • Replies 25
    • Total Posts 39

Well, my pair was late getting started on their second nest of this season. She laid the fifth egg on June 7 and is now busy setting on the eggs. Hatch should be around the 19th or 20th. They chose a different box (I have 2) from the first nesting, the same thing they did last year, but in opposite order. Who knows what what they are thinking! It’s very hot for early June here in MO, so I put up a heat shield several days ago. It’s not much, but hopefully will help some. The box has no shade. With luck, I’ll put five more beautiful EABB into the world!

BZ

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 111
    • Replies 1061
    • Total Posts 1172

Well, my Missouri bluebirds had a little late 2nd nest (1st nest all 5 died I believe from cold & rain). They are due to fledge tomorrow, day 17, June 15. Yours are not really much behind them. I usually have 3 nestings and do anticipate another one in early July. I have a heat shield up as well, and they probably will rotate this 3rd nesting (if applicable), as their 1st nest was in a different box than present. I do have 4 boxes, mostly for trapping HOSP if bluebirds do not choose one of them. Hope your present group fledge successfully.

BZ–W Ctrl MO
    Participant
    • Topics started 14
    • Replies 25
    • Total Posts 39

I just checked the box and discovered that one egg has hatched! 13 days from the last egg. Maybe because it’s been so warm in this area? I’m anxious to se what tomorrow brings.

BZ

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

That’s what mine did..1 hatched yesterday, 2 today, 1 unhatched. Unusual for mine.

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

I’m worried about heat too. It’s upper 80’s but box is in sun. Put up a styrofoam shield but it’s not sturdy enough for my liking. Actually caused the wren guard to fall off today. I’m a lousy engineer!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.