Missing egg

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Missing egg

This topic contains 50 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Love my blues! 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    tamsea
    • Topics started 26
    • Replies 697
    • Total Posts 723

Great!

Tammy

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Still all 4 eggs looking unscathed and mom incubating. Tomorrow is day 14 though. Getting a little nervous. Was hoping to see some pipping today but none.
    Parents still the most protective I have ever had. We were supposed to have terrible storms today and I worried all day about a tornado or high winds taking down the pole and it looks fine.
    Fingers crossed for some sign of hatching tomorrow. Then the real nerves set in. LOL.

tamsea
    • Topics started 26
    • Replies 697
    • Total Posts 723

Yay!

Tammy

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Hatch day! Caught one halfway out of the shell while monitoring, 2 gaping, praying I just couldn’t see number four! There was quite a little pile of activity and dad was definitely trying to kill me during monitoring LOL. I know you aren’t supposed to monitor in the mornings but sometimes I work until 10 PM and can’t check on them at night for sure. April 1 will make it really easy to keep up with the rule of 13 though. Would be cool if they fledged for Easter!
    Trying not to get too excited after so many disappointments last year but hope springs eternal!

nhhawk6nhhawk6
    Participant
    • Topics started 15
    • Replies 203
    • Total Posts 218

That is awesome, Lisa! Certainly sending prayers, luck, positive vibes, and a bluebird-dose of Valium for “papa blue”, your way!

Randy
    Bedford, New Hampshire

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Awful day. One dead in the nest with no sign of trauma at all. One survivor. two missing :(

I wish I had put up a sparrow spooker and a wren guard. Though I’ve never ever had problems with either. I’m convinced it’s one of those.

Praying for my last little guy and especially that his parents don’t get lost protecting him.

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 79
    • Replies 801
    • Total Posts 880

Lisa, so sorry – really hard to find them dead in the box with no signs of trauma. Yes, we think that we can get away without predator controls, and we maybe can for a while, but it will happen sooner or later. However, wrens don’t usually (and can’t) bother the babies after they are about 10 days old. They (babies) are usually large enough they can’t throw them out of nest which is what wrens do. I am going to think positive and believe the last one will fledge successfully and that the other 3 are out there!
    P.S. I don’t have any eggs yet, but blues are here and have a nice nest & saw papa feeding mama a day or two ago – they are ready! Keep us posted.

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 4
    • Replies 636
    • Total Posts 640

Oh Lisa. I am so sorry. I hope this last little one lives to fledge.

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Last little one looked perfect yesterday and both parents fed all day with nothing strange. This morning sweet little guy was dead in the nest with no sign of trauma whatsoever. At 5 days old. So devastated.
    Would you leave the nest to save parent’s time? I saw them both together looking fine.
    I am at a loss about what caused all of this. I had decided on HOWR but this is the 2nd one dead in the nest with no trauma.
    I am guarded to the hilt against snakes but not avian predators. Will add the base for sparrow spooker today but never have seen one.
    I will go ahead and have my wren guard ready to put on after another egg is laid in case I’m so lucky.
    I’m still mystified. Nothing adds up with this nest failure.

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Also wondering if I should move the box in the yard so it’s a little different? I bought a heat shield box last year but don’t like it because it’s front opening and would make monitoring very difficult. Also doesn’t have much roof slope for a wren guard.

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 79
    • Replies 801
    • Total Posts 880

Lisa, so sorry about this last loss. Guess I forgot that these were just born around April 1 and at just about 5 days old a HOWR could have thrown some out & predators gotten them from the ground at the evening. Have anyone close to you done any insecticide spraying? I lost all babies at 8-days old at once my first year of BBirding. People here on forum and I finally came to the conclusion that some neighbor did some spraying and it drifted to the box. My yard is pretty large, but that is all we could come up with, especially since they all died on the same day. You need to get your spooker and wren guard ready in case your pair (hopefully) build another nest soon. Your wren guard needs a MINIMUM of 2 1/2″ (best with little more) clearance from the hole opening to the back of the guard so parents can access hole easily to feed the babies. Lots of info on this at http://www.sialis.org Good luck! P.S. I have never heard of a heat shield opening from the front – this would make monitoring hard for sure. My shields are on the south & west sides and top of box and the front of box is completely open.

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Thanks Carol….i live on a golf course so I feel that pesticides are always possible. Mom and dad have been busy in and out all afternoon so I feel that they will nest again. Last year (after probably 9 years of no losses) I lost two nests to snakes before i perfected the Krueger trap and finally fledged 4.
    This has been a bizarre loss situation that doesn’t fit any explanation well…..
    Not taking any chances this time though

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

One strange thing is that they usually won’t go back to a nest that has been predates. This pair is definitely not leaving the box. Any thoughts on this,,,

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 79
    • Replies 801
    • Total Posts 880

Lisa, I would almost bet pesticide is your problem – maybe the wind just drifted just right or something. I know TRES will not come back to a box where there has been a nest failure, but my blues have – they are all probably different. Glad they are coming back.

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

One thing that never occurred to me was Bluejays! I have tons of them and never had issues with them but apparently they will eat an egg or nesting. This would explain the last 2 dead in the nest but might explain the missing egg?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.