New Nest

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter New Nest

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dana
    Participant

After much waiting a bluebird couple has started building a nest in my slot-opening box. I’ve been watching the female all morning as she hastily been bringing beak-fulls of dry grass with her while the male sits up top the nest box being her cheerleader. She is still at it. Tomorrow I will check to see if an egg is laid. I don’t know if this is their 1st nesting or second one this season. I’m just happy I finally have bluebirds in my box! :bluesinbox:

Love my blues!
      Participant

Congrats, Dana! So exciting!!

Nicole

Carol – Mid-Mo.
        Participant

Dana, it usually takes them a few days to complete a nest & lay first egg, but of course, all are different. Congrats on them being there.

dogsandbirds

This time of year they can be super fast. If they have been waiting for housing they will move as fast as they can.

Gin
            Atlanta, GA

Dana
            Participant

Hi Carol and Gin thanks for the info! I checked the nest this afternoon and there’s one blue egg in there, tomorrow I will check for a 2nd egg. I have mealworms out and apparently this must be their 2nd nesting as the fledglings from the 1st brood are now coming to the mealworm feeder and both mama and papa blue are feeding them. Only seen 2 fledglings so far. At one point while I was putting out some mealworms in the feeder the male bluebird landed within 2 feet of me on the sheppards hook near the mealworm feeder. He sat there for a few seconds before flying to a tree. I have never experienced a bluebird that up close and personal. I was in awe! I hurried up inside and he came right back to the mealworm feeder, grabbed a mouthful, and flew to one of the fledglings. One busy dad he is!

Dana
              Participant

Thank you Nicole! I didn’t have any bluebird nestings last summer and wasn’t sure I get any this year after the 1st bluebird couple disappeared. I’m so happy they are here and even brang their fledglings from their 1st brood along!

Carol – Mid-Mo.
                Participant

Yeah, Dana! Do you have a wren guard and spooker up? After the 1st egg is the time to do this. Several here have house wren problems, as well as HOSP. Isn’t it fun watching the group from last fledging come with parents to the feeder! Of course, means buying more mealworms, huh? They will soon eat on their own.

Dana
                  Participant

Hi Carol,
                    Yes I have them up. Plus I have stocked up on mealworms as well. I see the fledglings everyday. Sometimes they’ll sit inside the cup of mealworms as if they discovered a pot of gold. It’s so cute. Meanwhile the mama bb has laid 5 eggs and is incubating them now!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.