Please Introduce Yourself!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Please Introduce Yourself!

This topic contains 166 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygirl 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    Sassy
    Participant
    • Topics started 39
    • Replies 301
    • Total Posts 340

Hi Mel:
    I am fairly new here too. So far I have no BB’s in either one of my boxes, but I am not giving up hope. We are finally getting some warm Spring weather so that may encourage them to come to this part of PA. I saw a pair and a few strays back some time ago, but they disappeared, maybe just too cold around here at that time.
    Poor Papa BB thinks another male is horning in on his territory. I think it is hard to discourage that kind of activity unless you can block his view of himself, but I am not sure about that either.
    Sounds like you have a nice array of birds where you live now. We have quite a few here, chickadee’s cardinals, doves, blue jays, titmouse, nuthatches, wrens, finches, and lots of Hummingbirds, which will be showing up the end of this month or beginning of next, and other species too. I have never seen a purple martin though.
    Keep us informed about how things go with Papa BB, and welcome to the group.
    Connie

Mel
    Participant
    • Topics started 2
    • Replies 17
    • Total Posts 19

Thanks for the welcome!

I’m gonna miss all my Hummers. At my old house one of my neighbors had several crabapple trees. When they were in bloom they hard swarms of hummingbirds, their wings beating so loud you feel them vibrating the air. It was insane.

Linda
    Participant
    • Topics started 1
    • Replies 4
    • Total Posts 5

Hello, my name is Linda and I am from southern NJ. A year after my mother passed away I put up a bluebird box and my father said that he had done this for many years as they were my mothers favorite birds. (I did not know this). As we were talking out in my yard he explained that he had never seen a bluebird on The Farm (the term we used for our properties that all connect) and that I was wasting my time. I told him that I was pretty sure I had seen one and he scoffed. A few minutes later as we continued to chat, a male blue bird landed in the yard not 30 feet from us. We both looked at each other and started to cry. THAT is how I have come to look forward to seeing the bluebirds each year but now have some concerns that I need help with…looking forward to entering this realm and enjoying pictures and stories.

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 4
    • Replies 627
    • Total Posts 631

Welcome, Linda! That is such a sweet story.

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

Beautiful story, Linda! Welcome.

Tammy

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 20
    • Replies 594
    • Total Posts 614

Oh my gosh Linda, that is amazing!!!
    I am Lisa in Fairhope AL. Guess I got lucky for years because I had a box hanging from a chain right in front of my front porch and had two broods a year for at least 8 years with no problems.
    Then last year, horror of horrors, in broad daylight I found a five foot snake going into the box full of eggs. I pulled him out but there were only 2 eggs left and mom and dad moved on.
    I put a box in my backyard on a pole (still clueless) and lost a whole nest right before fledge from another gigantic snake. I knew because he came back the next day.
    So I went nuts and learned all I could about Krueger guards and finally fledged four.
    Never have had HOSP luckily.
    This year I learned the bad way about HOWR and lost 3 and the 2nd two died in the nest of unclear reasons.
    Removed the nest and I am sparrow spooked, wren guarded, and Krueger trapped and praying to hatch five on Thursday. I have memorized the entire Sialis site and spend too much time preaching about BB boxes on trees.”
    Thanks for all of the advice and fellowship!
    Lisa

cammot
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 3
    • Total Posts 3

Hi Everyone, my name is Ben (cammot) based in Amherst, NH. I just joined bluebirdnut this evening and looking forward to reading and contributing what we can. Both my wife Debbie and I have been birding for a couple of years now, and also have a couple of busy feeders in our backyard. We’ve seen a few Bluebirds this season in various areas. But to our utter amazement !, we saw our very first BB in our own backyard last week for the very first time !. We’ve been in this house for close to 25 years and never saw a BB before. We didn’t even know that BB’s came around to residential backyards.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we just put up 6 BB houses around our yard today, and hope that we will get at least one couple take up residence. One question we have – do we have to have mealworms to get started ?. We of course plan to get a BB feeder and mealworms as soon as we can, but just curious to learn if BB’s will stay without mealworms being available.

Thanks

—————————
    Ben
    Amherst, New Hampshire

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  cammot.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  cammot.
    nhhawk6nhhawk6
    Participant
    • Topics started 15
    • Replies 203
    • Total Posts 218

Good morning, Ben, and welcome! I am your neighbor, for all intent and purposes, as I live here in Bedford! I am an avid birder, and I feed throughout the late summer to early spring of the next year. We were fortunate to have 22 bluebirds spend the entire winter with us, this year. I am on 3 acres with two nest boxes, but only one has attracted a nesting pair of BBs. The boxes are not quite far enough away from each other, so I am hoping for tree swallows to move in to the second nest box. As for the mealworms, it is not a prerequisite to attracting bluebirds to nest boxes. I feed my blues a great crumble containing mealworms in the winter, but I do not feed during the nesting season, until they have hatchlings to feed. Great to have you as part of the forum!

Randy
    Bedford, New Hampshire

cammot
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 3
    • Total Posts 3

Hi Randy, Thanks for your welcome, info on mealworm and great tips on attracting BB. I also read with encouragement your perseverance and success with BB’s – congratulations !!. We have half your size in acrerage and thrice as many boxes, so much for my enthusiasm and expectation !. Glad that we are next door to Bedford, if there’s a way to private message lets exchange contact and try and meet up. We would love to come up and look at your BB’s and setup and get some learning.

Thanks

—————————————————————————————————————–

Ben
    Amherst, New Hampshire

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 4
    • Replies 627
    • Total Posts 631

Ben, welcome to our world! You don’t have to feed your EABL a single thing. They do a good job hunting for food. Some people feed them just because it’s fun.

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

There is a private message system here. Scroll down on the main page and you will see your inbox and whether it has messages.

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

Welcome, Ben. Like others said, your nestboxes are enough to draw the Bluebirds. But feeding is fun because you can gradually bring them closer to your house.

Tammy

cammot
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 3
    • Total Posts 3

Gin, Thanks for your welcome and info. A couple of our boxes have been taken up by Chickadees now !, with other vacant boxes available, we hope something will happen soon.

Ben, Amherst, New Hampshire

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 4
    • Replies 627
    • Total Posts 631

Ben, you have dees! How wonderful!

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

Sparky
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 8
    • Total Posts 8

Sparky here. I am new to this site. We live in Illinois and have had success with bluebirds up until a few days ago. There were 5 eggs in the nest and now they are all gone! None on the ground, no shells in the nest, etc. Mama and papa are still protecting the house. Do we need to remove the original nest or will they continue to use the original one for, hopefully, more eggs? Thank you!

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 69
    • Replies 688
    • Total Posts 757

Hi, Sparky & Welcome! Sounds like snake to me – did you have a baffle under the box? Could be coon but I believe they would have tore up the nest. I believe you need to remove the nest. However, if the same mama & papa are there I’m not sure. But you don’t want them to build another nest on top of the old, since it would be too high & close to the hole where predators could reach in. Why don’t you post this question as a new post and not on this introduction page and others will see it better and have more ideas. Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.