Please Introduce Yourself!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Please Introduce Yourself!

This topic contains 170 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Jamie 3 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 166 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Countrygirl
    Participant
    • Topics started 5
    • Replies 35
    • Total Posts 40

Hey Brenda
    Super late on this post not even sure if you are still around .. but I’m also in Ontario. Courtney! – Hopefully we run into each other here

Countrygirl
    Participant
    • Topics started 5
    • Replies 35
    • Total Posts 40

Hey all,
    I too was on the old YUKU site and had to get ahold of these lovely ladies (cher?) to help me get my passwords and stuff back. I dont even remember what year I started here I think it was 2009 which would make this ten years!

I’m Courtney, from Ontario Canada (about an hour west of Toronto.) I found this site when I moved to a house that had a bunch of old nest boxes filled with “stuff” – which I later learned was HOSPS and Wrens dummy nests! this site has been an amazing resource for me, and a great way to connect with others who enjoy birds, nature like I do. I’m an all around animal lover, two horses, cats, dogs – they all tend to find me, just like the blues and TRES.

Currently hosting a set of paired boxes for the 2019 season, and looking forward to meeting more of you and giving updates. I tend to disappear for awhile, and then when I see pretty birds its a reminder to come visit my birding family! :bluebird6:

Jamie
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 15
    • Total Posts 15

Hello everyone! I was a member of the old forum ages ago, and I learned a lot of what I know about hosting bluebirds from you all way back when. I live in north central Ohio and have had a trail of 14 nest boxes on my property for about 25 years now. (ok saying that just made me feel old! lol) I recently purchased the BBF1 mealworm feeder and saw that it was designed by you guys, and it got me looking up the bluebird nut site again. I had trouble registering for the forum, so thank you Cher for helping me get back on board here.

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 5
    • Replies 641
    • Total Posts 646

Welcome back, Jamie! Fourteen boxes is a bunch! I hope you are enjoying success this year.

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

ThereseTherese
    Participant
    • Topics started 1
    • Replies 2
    • Total Posts 3

Hello,
    My name is Therese and I live in southeast Michigan. I’ve been birding for about 20 years but never saw bluebirds until last year. This February they were back at the suet feeder so we decided to put out a nestbox in the front yard, which is the most open space we have. The bluebirds built a nest in May and four eggs were laid, with incubation starting on June 6th. Unfortunately the eggs did not hatch. I carefully candled them with a flashlight on day 20 of incubation, and an expert confirmed that they were not viable. At her recommendation, I did not return the eggs to the nest. The bluebirds realized the eggs were gone and left together a week ago. I know the male is still around because I saw him twice in the past week and heard him call for his mate yesterday. The nest is still there, and I’m hoping they’ll try again, although it’s looking unlikely. I’m trying to understand why the eggs were not viable, and if the location of the nestbox was a factor. They appeared to be half full of yellow yolk. Were they not fertilized or did she not incubate enough? During her incubation, I observed her flying out any time a person walked down the street, sometimes two or three times in 15 minutes. Also, we ‘ve had wren and house sparrow issues, but I found solutions and they did not damage the eggs. I’ll talk more about that in another post. If they don’t come back I’m considering moving the nestbox to the side of my house away from street traffic, although it is a narrow strip of land. I’m hoping to find out more information on this site to be able to give these birds the proper environment to have a successful nesting season. :BlueBirds-baby3:

Therese

Jamie
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 15
    • Total Posts 15

Welcome to the forum Therese! How disappointing that your eggs did not hatch. It does sound like it is in a busy spot. I don’t have any experience with raising bluebirds in a spot that gets human traffic like that. Maybe someone else here can advise you on that front. Crossing my fingers that you get another nesting.

Viewing 6 posts - 166 through 171 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.