Please Introduce Yourself!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Please Introduce Yourself!

Viewing 5 posts - 181 through 185 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    NickNackHummerNickNackHummer
    Participant
    • Topics started 7
    • Replies 32
    • Total Posts 39

Welcome Molla. I just noticed you had posted in the Introduce Yourself forum. I’ve only had one bluebird nesting this year, too, but it’s because I’ve had house sparrow and house wren problems. Are you still feeding mealworms? I don’t know why you aren’t seeing them if you’re still offering the mealworms. There are a lot more experienced bluebirders on this forum than I am. If you post again in the main forum rather than in the introduce yourself forum I’m sure you’ll get more replies.

Carol
    East Tennessee

marshmama
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 2
    • Total Posts 2

Ah, thanks for this suggestion, I will!

JudiOregon
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 3
    • Total Posts 3

My name is Judi and I live in Salem, Oregon. My son built me a birdhouse (just for looks) a couple of years ago. I introduced him to the idea that there’s a reason why some have perches and some don’t, why some have small holes and some large, and why the roofs generally aren’t flat. So, after some modifications, I “planted” the house in my backyard. Last year it was occupied, and that was my introduction Bluebirds! So I’ve been trying to catch up ever since. Last year ended sadly when the female didn’t return one day, leaving behind 6 beautiful blue eggs. This year I was thrilled to welcome another couple. So far we have become “good friends,” and they have three eggs so far. Your site is a Gold Mine of information, and I can feel the welcoming passion in all of you. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise.
    AND, since I don’t know my way around yet, can anyone tell me at what temperature the eggs cannot survive? We are day #2 at over 100 degrees… :o(

NickNackHummerNickNackHummer
    Participant
    • Topics started 7
    • Replies 32
    • Total Posts 39

Welcome Judi! There are a lot more experienced bluebirders on here than I am, so I will let them help you. I did want to let you know that on sialis.org there is a wealth of information about bluebirds. They say that a temperature of 107 is the highest they can survive. Many people put heat shields on their nest boxes if they’re in direct sun. I believe there are instructions for that on the sialis website.

I will post in the main forum and let everyone know you’re introduced yourself. A lot of people no longer check the Please Introduce Yourself forum. Please go ahead and post in the main forum. Congratulations on your new nest! I’m sorry you lost your first female. That’s always so sad.

Carol
    East Tennessee

JudiOregon
    Participant
    • Topics started 0
    • Replies 3
    • Total Posts 3

Thanks,Carol!

Viewing 5 posts - 181 through 185 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.