Round 3

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Round 3

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  dogsandbirds 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    David in Stafford,VADavid in Stafford,VA
    Participant
    • Topics started 31
    • Replies 371
    • Total Posts 402

Carol- Congratulations on your hatch. Now we are waiting to hear how Dana’s hatch went and how agp’s fledges go.
    Lots of little blues in August!!!

David
    Stafford, VA

blue diamondsblue diamonds
    Participant
    • Topics started 19
    • Replies 137
    • Total Posts 156

David….thanks for sharing your photos always exciting to see the hatchlings. Hope #4 hatches soon.

Carol….great to hear all five of your 3rd nesting hatched. I was hoping you would report, I knew your hatch day was suppose to be Thursday.

Congratulations‼️ Happy Birding‼️

Judy-Michigan

Participant
    • Topics started 31
    • Replies 371
    • Total Posts 402

I hope that this doesn’t become a duplicate post.

#4 Hatched today. They all look healthy and hungry. I did see the male bird and 3 of the last fledglings in the trees as I took these pictures.

David
    Stafford, VA

Participant
    • Topics started 31
    • Replies 371
    • Total Posts 402

Here are Mama and Papa ready to feed the little ones.

David
    Stafford, VA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 69
    • Replies 688
    • Total Posts 757

Nice, David. My blues are molting right now and it is hard to tell them apart. Your pictures above show clearly male & female. My pair are doing a little better about feeding the worms to newly hatched babies. They haven’t chased any of the previous fledglings away, so they were not getting many worms for the new babies. I split up the mealworm bowls so there are two now and seems to work better. Sure hope these 5 babies fledge successfully and yours, also, and any others waiting for empty boxes.

Participant
    • Topics started 31
    • Replies 371
    • Total Posts 402

Thanks Carol. I didn’t put up a mealworm feeder this year because of excessive travel so I do not have the “returning fleglings” problem. I do see them flying around the trees and in neighbors yards with the parent birds quite often. They fly into a wooded area across the street from our house. I imagine that is where the good supply of insects and grubs are.

When is your expected fledge date? Hope all goes well.

David
    Stafford, VA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 69
    • Replies 688
    • Total Posts 757

Fledge date is around Aug. 17 or 18th. Yes, need to be around to feed the birds – between the blues and the hummers, I spend a lot of time filling up feeders. However, on the mealworms, I am a true believer that they should be used as a treat only and a little help with babies. They do need to find food and be able to survive on their own. Even though I grunt a little about it, I love to watch them when they come to my whistle & eat. :birddance:

Participant
    • Topics started 31
    • Replies 371
    • Total Posts 402

Here we are at day 7. It looks like the one in the back right might be the one that hatched the day after the other 3. The 2 up front must be getting most of the food. Just an observation – I could be wrong.

David
    Stafford, VA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 69
    • Replies 688
    • Total Posts 757

Cool picture, David – we just got back from a weekend away from home – peeked in at my babies and they had really grow – now 10 days old.

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 4
    • Replies 627
    • Total Posts 631

David it looks like two smaller ones to me. Not to worry too much. They do have a way of catching up most of the time.

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.