Second nesting update

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Second nesting update

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BZ–W Ctrl MO
    Participant
    • Topics started 14
    • Replies 25
    • Total Posts 39

As I stated in another post, my pair finally started the second nesting on June 2nd, after about a two week break. By Sunday June 5 I wasn’t seeing them around, so I assumed that the nesting was complete and they were taking another break before the egg laying process began, which is what they did on the first go around. On Tues. June 7th I was getting ready to leave town for several days, so I thought I should check the nest before I left, just in case. To my surprise there were two eggs! So, I quickly put up the wren guard since I have been seeing several wrens, and not many sparrows at all (I trapped and eliminated at least 6 or 7 HOSP earlier this spring). However, I didn’t have time to wait and see if the BB would accept the guard before I had to leave. I knew I would have to wait until I returned on Thursday to put up the spooker. I told my wife to check the box on Wed. about 11AM, and sure enough there was a third egg! I returned home today (9th) about 5:30 PM, checked the box and now have 4 eggs. I’ll put up the spooker in the morning after she has had time for a fifth egg (if there is one). Hopefully all will go well. I’m so sorry for those of you who have had bad experiences. I have been there and know how sick and angry that you can feel. We just have to keep trying.

BZ

BZ–W Ctrl MO
    Participant
    • Topics started 14
    • Replies 25
    • Total Posts 39

Still just 4 eggs this at 10:30 this morning. I put the spooker up while mom and pop watched while sitting on the power line above. I hope all goes well.

BZ

tamsea
    • Topics started 26
    • Replies 699
    • Total Posts 725

Sounds good! Glad they accepted that wren guard.

Tammy

BZ–W Ctrl MO
    Participant
    • Topics started 14
    • Replies 25
    • Total Posts 39

Correction: Sometime between 11 AM and 4 PM on Friday after I put the spooker up, mom laid a fifth egg! How long after the last egg is laid does mom start setting on them full time? Temperature here today was about 93* so it has to be a hot job setting in that box. I will get a heat shield up after she starts setting.

BZ

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 110
    • Replies 1057
    • Total Posts 1167

Usually she will start incubating the same day as last egg or the next day – all are different. Yes, a heat shield will help, as our Missouri summers can be very hot – my boxes are in full sun so I always put on shields after the very first nesting. Good luck.

Love my blues!
    Participant
    • Topics started 9
    • Replies 217
    • Total Posts 226

That’s great, BZ! My 2nd brood of nestlings are 8 days old. So far, so good. I’m in AL, so we are in the 90’s as well.

Nicole

David in Stafford,VA
    Participant
    • Topics started 57
    • Replies 615
    • Total Posts 672

Sounds like she is on the way to a hatching about June 20th. Be careful not to shake the box when you put up the heat shield. Good luck

David
    Stafford, VA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.