Swallows are relentless

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Swallows are relentless

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    verachuckdave
    Participant

Hello! In spite of being in Pennsylvania, my bluebirds hung around over the winter. I would go for several weeks without seeing them, but then they would return. I would have 7 bluebirds sitting on my pool fence even on cold, windy days. I put out dried meal worms, and they did take advantage of that. Well, the 7-bird crowd has diminished and only a male and female remain. They are currently building a new nest in a new bluebird house that I erected this year to get it farther away from my house.

Today, it was 84 degrees here, and the male bluebird had to work all day to keep about 5 swallows out of the house. He did a good job, but he is really outnumbered. I’m not sure what to do about the swallows.

Susan
      Pennsylvania

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

Is it possible for you to put up another box for the TRES? They are quite desirable & beautiful bird, but I know they do like the blues’ boxes. If you had another house for them, then they could be good neighbors. Otherwise, they will have to fight it out.

Dana
        Participant

Carol is right! The Tree Swallows will also defend the Bluebird’s nestbox as they will defend their own from other birds and from predators. Where in PA are you from if I may ask? I’m in Lancaster. I have bluebirds around, had them over the winter, and I still hear and see them but have no nest yet. I have a new slot-holed nestbox up this year. Still hoping a pair will take up residence. Just a wait and see thing. This time of year drives me crazy.

tamsea

I’m not sure what to call you…is it Vera?
            Any way. I have an entirely different take on Tree Swallows this year than I have in previous years. They are relentless this year and driving me crazy!!! I have at least 8 TRES box and this year there’s at least double that in tree swallow pairs and they swarmed my bluebird box so intensely that my bluebirds gave up a complete nest. I’ve tried everything besides putting up more boxes which I refuse to do! I tried paring a already filled box 20 feet away and that was too far away because the extra pairs still tried to take over that box. I tried putting the boxes 5 feet away and that worked but it freaked out my bluebird pair so they wouldn’t come back. I’ve never ever seen them this aggressive.

Tammy

Carol – Mid-Mo.
            Participant

Tammy, I would be upset with the TRES if I had that many, too! Nothing is more important to me (at least in birding) than my blues Is there something special or different with your territory that the TRES like? Did I remember that you have a lake or pond nearby? On the Sialis website it mentions that they like to be near water. We do have a pond at the far end of our property, over 600′ away, but the TRES have not been back after their loss of 6 babies about 3 years ago.

verachuckdave
              Participant

Hi Dana: I am in Mechanicsburg, PA. I was surprised when my bluebirds stuck around over the winter. I think I will try providing another house for the swallows. They are beautiful, and I hate seeing them fight with the blues!

Susan
                Pennsylvania

verachuckdave
                Participant

Hi! My name is actually Susan–I know, weird username. I am actually a huge Beatles fan. Vera, Chuck and Dave are names from the song “When I’m 64.” I steal from the Beatles a lot. All of my dogs have names from Beatles tunes.

I guess I will try pairing two boxes and see how it goes. I will be VERY upset if my bluebirds leave. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Susan
                  Pennsylvania

dogsandbirds

I can’t believe I missed that! Verachuckdave! Ok. What did you name your dogs??

Gin
                    Atlanta, GA

verachuckdave
                    Participant

I have chihuahuas. One is named Rocky (Rocky Raccoon). One is Rita (Lovely Rita), and my smallest chihuahua puppy is named Mi Amor (which is Spanish for My Love — The Paul McCartney song).

In the past I had a yorkie named Maxwell and one named Eleanor. I also had a Maltese named Michelle. :-)

I know, it’s kind of silly, but I am a true Beatles fanatic. I got hooked on them when I was about 7 years old, and it’s always my go-to music.

Susan
                      Pennsylvania

dogsandbirds

Very cool!

Gin
                        Atlanta, GA

Dana
                        Participant

Hi Susan,
                          My bluebirds were around during the winter too. I have no nest yet. I did have a bluebird pair interested a few weeks ago but they have since moved on. I’m hoping another pair will come by and claim my nestbox. Tree Swallows I’d welcome as well. They’re great for mosquito control! lol

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.