The next phase

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter The next phase

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Thanks Connie! I really think something scared them from that feeder. New pole should arrive tomorrow and I will put it closer to the golf course. I miss seeing my babies! I just can’t imagine something happened to all 15 and I think the last brood that fledged on July 18th are too young to have flown far away! My neighbor 2 doors down has a lawn like a bowling alley and they started taking the babies there last year so hoping that’s where they are hidden away!

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 111
    • Replies 1061
    • Total Posts 1172

Lisa, I sure bet they are still around – maybe just not in your immediate area. My blues from previous (not last) nest were coming to the worm bowl very regular. Now that the last group fledged about 10-12 days ago, they are beginning to come to the worm bowl and I believe the parents have pretty much chased off the previous group, at least for now, until the youngest ones can get acquainted with the worms & bowl. Isn’t this fun………………..!!

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Connie, I think I have it figured out. My house backs up to the golf course but there is kind of a bunker so I don’t see it directly. I got out there on the golf course with my binoculars and saw more than I could could count, at least a dozen blues, out this evening around 6 scarfing up bugs from the short part of the grass. Don’t know what it’s called, LOL. Then several playing in the sand trap. It was incredible seeing how many blues there were!!! I realized that my yard has gotten very overgrown and bushy and there are feral cats and mockingbirds. Out there they were totally safe with a ginormous treeless area to eat to their heart’s content.
    Finally I am not worried about those babies! They are HUGE and having fun. And I really need to get to work cutting back shrubs for next year.
    Thank God they are alive and happy. Their parents probably knew not to bring them to the mealworm feeder.
    They are so smart that when a golf cart came by they headed for the trees.
    Thanks for listening to my worries. When they were born and first fledged my mealworm feeder emptied in minutes. I’m happy they are out there scavenging on their own, but must admit I miss seeing them!

Sassy
    Participant
    • Topics started 54
    • Replies 416
    • Total Posts 470

Reading you last post Lisa makes me feel so good and I know finding your babies in great shape makes you feel the same. I agree, they do seem to be very smart. Perhaps the over grown shrubbery and feral cats has something to do with them going to the golf course. They do like wide open spaces though, so maybe they would have gone there anyways. I am glad that mystery has been solved and you can rest now knowing they are all Okay. I know if mine disappear I will miss them too. I get so much joy out of seeing them feed at the dish and 4 at a time in the birdbath.
    Connie (PA)

Lisa
    Participant
    • Topics started 21
    • Replies 613
    • Total Posts 634

Thanks Connie! My new feeder post came so I finally have a day off to put it out closer to the golf course and see if they will come to it in an open area. I miss seeing the babies try to figure out the feeder cage. But what a beautiful sight to see them all out there on the golf course!

Sassy
    Participant
    • Topics started 54
    • Replies 416
    • Total Posts 470

Lisa, how did moving the feeder work out? I hope it has lured those babies back to your yard. I do not have a feeder cage just too darn expensive for my pocketbook, but it must be interesting seeing them figure it out.
    Connie (PA)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.