They made it through 109 degree heat index ! !

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter They made it through 109 degree heat index ! !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 110
    • Replies 1057
    • Total Posts 1167

We were gone over the weekend – returned late this afternoon & put out some worms. Parents came & brought the worms to a close by tree, not to the nestbox. Day 17 would really have been tomorrow, but being so hot previously (maybe they hatched one day before I thought), all four were gone. I cleaned out box, just to have that task done with. I have really been concerned (as many of you were also) about the heat we have had. One day this week actual temp was 98 degrees and index was 109 – really a miserable day. However, the past two days have only been in the upper 80’s, which was quite a relief. Anyway, they are gone – now if they can just survive long enough for mom & dad to teach them what this real world is all about & get their own families next year.

Love my blues!
    Participant
    • Topics started 9
    • Replies 217
    • Total Posts 226

Yes, Carol! I’ve been praying for you & your babies! Congratulations! Sure hope they learn the tricks of hunting & surviving! Mine should be fledging Tuesday as far as I know. Hope so! Congrats again!!!

Nicole

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 110
    • Replies 1057
    • Total Posts 1167

Nicole, thank you – and hope your babies do the same tomorrow! It really is a relief when they fledge, but of course we know that all that fledge will not survive, but we have helped as best we could for their increased population.

tamsea
    • Topics started 26
    • Replies 699
    • Total Posts 725

:groupwave: yay!

Tammy

David in Stafford,VA
    Participant
    • Topics started 57
    • Replies 615
    • Total Posts 672

Congratulations on the fledge. I think that all of us have some concerns about the excessive heat that we have experienced this summer. But nature does take care of itself. I will let you know how my group this week. Due to fledge on Saturday (which is supposed to be only 88 degrees. – yea -below 90!)

David
    Stafford, VA

Love my blues!
    Participant
    • Topics started 9
    • Replies 217
    • Total Posts 226

Hope all goes well for your fledge, David! Really thought mine would fledge today, but their heads were still poking out before sunset. Tomorrow should be the day! Hope both of ours make it!

Nicole

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant
    • Topics started 110
    • Replies 1057
    • Total Posts 1167

David, thanks – hope all goes well for yours on Saturday!

Love my blues!
    Participant
    • Topics started 9
    • Replies 217
    • Total Posts 226

Still thinking of yours, David. Mine did fledge today. So relieved! Hoping all of ours do well in training!

Let us know, David!

Nicole

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.