Tree Swallows

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by tamsea tamsea 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    NanceOC
    Participant
    • Topics started 3
    • Replies 5
    • Total Posts 8

Tree Swallows started feeding my baby blue birds this morning. Is that unusual? I haven’t seen the male blue bird in the last 24 hours. Yesterday the female blue bird was in the nest on top of the babies. I haven’t seen the female blue bird today. Would the blue birds abandoned their babies? I’m fearful of opening the bird house because I don’t want to harm the babies. Any help would be useful.

NanceOC
    Participant
    • Topics started 3
    • Replies 5
    • Total Posts 8

Sorry to say that I was mistaken and the swallows were not feeding the baby blue birds. The swallows keep flying around the house and go in and out but the bluebird parents are no where to be found and all 5 baby blue birds are dead. I have no idea how this happened. The babies were about 10 days old. So sad.

dogsandbirds
    • Topics started 4
    • Replies 627
    • Total Posts 631

Tragically things do happen. I am so sorry. My guess is that the female is no longer alive.

I wish you had started this thread in the main forum so lots of people would see it. All bird topics are welcome there. I’ll post a notice about it there since I can’t find a way to move this.

Gin
    Atlanta, GA

NanceOC
    Participant
    • Topics started 3
    • Replies 5
    • Total Posts 8

Thank you so much for responding. I am new to this forum so not sure where to post to the main forum. Surprisingly, the parents of the dead bluebirds returned late this afternoon. I will be monitoring them to see their activity.

tamseatamsea
    • Topics started 24
    • Replies 681
    • Total Posts 705

If you don’t let the Tree Swallows take the box the bluebirds might build another nest. Sorry!

Tammy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.