What else can I do?

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter What else can I do?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    verachuckdave
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be removing the birdhouse from the fence. I’m torn about erecting a new bluebird house on a pole in the yard because my husband and I may be relocating over the next year. You never know what type of people are going to buy your house, and I am afraid it could be someone who doesn’t maintain the birdhouse properly. Would it be likely for Mama Blue to find a new mate and return this late in the season?

Susan
      Pennsylvania

Love my blues!
      Participant

It is late, but you never know. It’ll be harder for her to find a mate this late in the season, but could happen. I’m in AL & should have 3rd nest hatchlings by end of week. Worried about heat though…

Nicole

verachuckdave
        Participant

I haven’t seen the Mama or babies for about four days. I hope Rich is right and they are just in hiding. It is dreadfully hot here–still in a heat wave. I also worry about crows. We have corn fields surrounding our property, and there are lots of crows around. I hope she comes back soon!

Susan
          Pennsylvania

Love my blues!
          Participant

I never see the babies until about 2 weeks after fledging. The parents take them away from nesting site to seek a safer location. Sometimes, I see the parents get worms in the interim & take them off to the babies, but not near as much. Some people don’t see the parents at all in the interim. Plus, birds don’t come to feeders as often this time of year. My bluebirds are residents all year round, so I see them at feeder off & on all year.

Lastly, sadly, all of my babies don’t make it through that period. Someone on this site once said that’s why they have several babies in more than one brood. However, there have been others to see all of their fledgers/juveniles back later. Really hope you see them in near future!

Nicole

verachuckdave
            Participant

I got my metal birdhouse pole and squirrel baffle yesterday. We are going to install it in the yard later this evening. I hope my mother bluebird returns with a new mate. :)

Susan
              Pennsylvania

dogsandbirds

:dancing: Good job! Your birds would thank you if they could. If you move, you could always take your new pole and baffle with you.

Gin
                Atlanta, GA

tamsea

I agree with Gin. Take your pole with you….it should be easy to pull up.

Tammy

verachuckdave
                  Participant

I will definitely take my new bluebird house, pole and baffle when we move. My husband was going to throw a little Quikrete in the hole when he put it up, and I just had him dig deep and pack it tight so we could take it back out later. Do you think I should leave it up over the winter? We aren’t planning to move until next year. I haven’t seen my Mama Blue or the babies since the day after they fledged. I was walking my dogs yesterday and saw several baby bluebirds on the wires in front of my neighbor’s houses. To be honest, I am jealous that her bluebirds are sticking around and mine all left. I guess the mother took off because her mate had died. I do have a beautiful pair of mourning doves nesting in a dogwood tree right off of my front porch.

Susan
                    Pennsylvania

It doesn’t hurt to leave it up in the winter. It can provide a place for the BB’s to roost during the winter evenings.
                    Just watch it to keep it clear of nesting material. I have noticed that my nestbox is not occupied every night during the winter months. The birds will use it when their “weather instinct” tells them that they need additional shelter.

BTW – those young bluebirds on the wire could have been yours.

David
                    Stafford, VA

verachuckdave
                    Participant

I guess I will just leave the house up then and make sure it stays “clean.” It would be nice if the babies I saw were the ones that I bought all of those worms for :-) I live in a pretty rural area where the houses all sit on about 2 acres each. Several of my neighbors also have bluebird houses in the back yards, and I’ve seen their “couples” when I walk my dogs. I guess that some of my babies could have ventured that way.

Susan
                      Pennsylvania

tamsea

Those definetly could have been yours. It’s good to leave your box up because it gives them plenty of time to investigate boxes. They start looking around in the winter months.

Tammy

tamsea

Those definetly could have been yours. It’s good to leave your box up because it gives them plenty of time to investigate boxes. They start looking around in the winter months.

Tammy

verachuckdave
                          Participant

Hello Everyone: It’s been a month here in Pennsylvania, and I haven’t seen a single bluebird. The beautiful yellow finches are still annihilating my thistle seed daily, and a mourning dove just hatched a brood in my dogwood tree yesterday. However, my beloved bluebirds seem to be gone for another season.

I really feel the need to say THANK YOU to so many of you who helped and educated me this summer. In the past, I selfishly enjoyed the bluebirds in my yard without providing a safe haven and meal worms! The terrible day when my Papa Blue died, I found this forum and begged for help. I remember the morning I found him. I went to the birdhouse and cried my eyes out as the tiny bluebirds stretched their necks and cried for food. I was sure they would perish.

It was your advice and help that saw me through that terrible day. It was your advice and help that saved those little darlings. I learned how to make a sparrow spooker, buy meal worms and eventually relocate my house to a safer place. I can’t thank you enough for turning a past-time into a hobby that I love.

So, thank you Carol, Tammy, David, Rich, “Love My Blues,” Gin and Cher. I will serve my future bluebirds well–Thanks to you!

Susan

Susan
                            Pennsylvania

Love my blues!
                            Participant

Hi Susan-

Sorry your blues aren’t around right now, but they will be back. I’m sure of it! I feel the same gratitude to this forum that you do! I have been helped & educated so much, where bluebirding is now a true hobby of mine (just like for you)! Truly wish you & your blues the best in the future!

Nicole

Hi Susan,

You have done a great job of bringing that last brood to fledging. Nichole said it very well that we all enjoy “raising” our bluebirds and helping others that are experiencing difficulties or situations where we can. Each of us has probably asked similar questions at one time or another and received welcome assistance from others. This forum is unique, I believe, because everyone has an interest in preserving this beautiful species and they can empathize with those that are experiencing a HOSP, Wren, loss of parent bird, critter issue etc. We all have dealt with it at one time or another and are willing to share and propose solutions in a friendly way as opposed to a “my way is always right way” that I have seen elsewhere.

Good luck on your next years efforts.

David

David
                              Stafford, VA

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.