When do the adults start scoping out new nesting locations?

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter When do the adults start scoping out new nesting locations?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    phillyblues
    Participant

How soon after the first nest fledge do adult bluebirds start real estate hunting again? I had at least one singing around my yard high up in the trees on Monday morning but not since:(

I was thinkong it was likely a parent from my trail box which is a golf course length away. Do yoi think they were taking babies on a tour or actually looking? Hoping they come back. Nothing landed on the boxes I have up in the yard.

Also curious. If they hear or see other bluebirds in the vicinity will that push them to leave the spot or stay around?

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

Parents will usually start scouting for a nesting sight (or maintain the previous one) about two weeks after fledging. They will take new fledged babies out and about for 10 days or so to teach them to fly good and hunt for food, and then they will concentrate on a new nest. As far as other bluebirds in the area, they are somewhat territorial but like all creatures, the first to claim will usually win.

phillyblues
        Participant

Thanks as usual, Carol. I guess relatively plenty of time still.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.