1st nest of 2022!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter 1st nest of 2022!

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Dana.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dana
    Participant

Hi all,

Last week there were 2 pairs of bluebirds fighting over my nest box! First the 2 males battled one another. Then the females battled one another. It was incredible to witness! Luckily none of them were seriously injured. The encroaching bluebird pair was driven off by the pair already laying claim to my box. I wish I had the acres for another nest box for the other pair but sadly I don’t. To make a long story short I now have a completed bluebird nest in my box! Tomorrow I will begin checking for eggs.

– Dana

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

Interesting, Dana, about the fight for that box. I have never had this happen with bluebirds – just my blues chasing off the HOSP from THEIR box. But, luckily, I do have room and have a total of four boxes up. This way I can trap the HOSP in one box when they get into the building process. The (HOSP) usually try to build in more than one box. LET THE FUN BEGIN!!

phillyblues
        Participant

I am kinda bummed. Since this bad weather I haven’t seen my blues on the trail boxes. Today was really nice and I expectes to see them but nope. Also the field I have them in is increasingly being traveled by constant dog walkers who have discovered the park. Not sure if this bothers them at all. Hope not.

Julie
          Participant

Phillyblues, we live on a not-busy street, but there’s traffic of all sorts all day–a few cars, lots of walkers and then my DH and I are in the yard quite a bit (me a bunch). The birds put up with my slow push mowing and this year are still active around the deck repair men. But the blues here are not that active yet in terms of nest building. They’re here daily, but no building yet.

Btw Dana, in early March I often see up to 5-6 bluebirds chasing each other up and down the street. It’s wild. But I’ve never seen them battling over a box like that!

Dana
            Participant

Hi Julie!

It was the first time for me too seeing the 2 pairs battle. I was gobsmacked to say the least! First the 2 males fought and one flew off. Then the 2 females fought! The intruding pair came back again only to be chased away again by the bluebird pair claiming my box. Here in Lancaster, PA, you’ll see many yards with bluebird boxes and the parks have bluebird trails throughout due to all the farmland and open spaces. The Amish also have bluebird boxes erected on their land. So I’m hoping the other bluebird pair has found another nest box readily available.

Dana

Dana
              Participant

Carol,

It was surreal to say the least! I’m just glad they didn’t harm each other.

Regards, Dana

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.