4 babies in third nesting – YEA!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter 4 babies in third nesting – YEA!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant

Well, I am breathing a sigh of relief after the bad luck with nesting #2 which only hatched 1 egg out of 5. This #3 nest had 4 eggs (which is what I think is best all way around), some hatched on Thursday and other one on Friday I believe. I could see 1 blue egg still on Thursday. It’s been awfully hot, although today is still in low 90’s which sure beats the upper 90’s. Mama and papa are taking care of the babies, but have not brought them any worms yet I don’t think. This newer batch of worms was a lot larger than they are used to and I noticed they just do not seem to like them as well – I don’t believe I have ever seen them leave any in the bowl like they are doing now. And I have cut down almost by half of amount I used to put out since they are so large. Hope everyone else’s birds are surviving the heat. I am still a pesty wren and HOSP hanging around.

blue diamonds
      Participant

Carol I’m so happy to hear this. I know you were expecting them to hatch around Wednesday, so when there were no postings until today, I was worried. Good news all is well.

My bluebirds seem to like the larger sized worms better. But for new hatchling smaller would probably be better.

Judy-Michigan

Congratulations Carol Good luck with the rest of their maturing. I had the opposite size with my last batch of worms. Mine are small. (had to get a supply from WBU as Grubco could not ship due to the heat.) My blues do not seem to like the smaller worms as they leave about half of the feeding (50 + or -) in the bowl. I have reduced the number that I take out to 30 and that seems to be okay. I don’t know whether it is the heat or the size of the worms that is causing the change.

David
        Stafford, VA

dogsandbirds

Carol, they might be taking worms into the nest about now. The first few days are what I call “tiny bug time”. When they do start taking them, you might see the birds bashing the worms around to kill them first. Seen that?

Gin
          Atlanta, GA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
          Participant

Gin, yes, in the previous other nests I would see them take worms and bash them before they went to the nest – I called it a “worm train” as mama and papa would take turns bringing them to the babies. I just haven’t seen this much lately. But they are just 4 days old, and one is just 3 days old. I tried to find some smaller worms this morning after I had fed them yesterday and was able to find some smaller to medium size ones and looked like this helped some. This last batch of worms were almost double size I’m used to and they were labeled as medium. It cooled off today, been cloudy and a couple light showers so this was good for them. Thanks, Gin.

Carol – Mid-Mo.
            Participant

Well, the “worm train” is in full force now – babies are old enough I guess that parents are bringing them several two times a day. I haven’t looked in at the babies for a few days but will check on them soon. I took out most of this pesky wren’s nest – they just keep filling it with sticks – staying away from my bluebirds.

blue diamonds
              Participant

Sounds like it’s business as usual for your blues! Thank goodness this batch all hatched.

We still have lots of wrens in our area too. I have a couple boxes (away from the bluebird boxes) that they keep putting sticks in and I take them out. Your suggestion has work for me also. Thanks!

Judy-Michigan

Carol – Mid-Mo.
                Participant

Glad to hear those wrens are staying away from your BBs, also – stubborn little things!

Carol – Mid-Mo.
                  Participant

Well, my mealworms are going fast now with four babies to feed and The Lone Ranger TRYING to get a few himself (parents are sort of chasing him away from the worm bowl). It has cooled down considerably the past few days – so glad that those babies are not having to suffer too much from the heat right now as they have feathers and are getting big. Fledge date is around August 9 I believe.

blue diamonds
                    Participant

Good to hear things are going well. Glad that heat wave has ended too. We had rain 2 days in a row over the weekend. It was needed and now everything is green and lush.

I have four ….5 day old babies in the back box. It has been a great season of bluebirding for me.

Judy-Michigan

Carol – Mid-Mo.
                      Participant

Glad things are going well, Judy. We have had plenty of rain in mid-Missouri, also.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.