Anyone used the red mylar ribbon for their spooker?

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Anyone used the red mylar ribbon for their spooker?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant

Purchased some new myler ribbon from Blaine Johnson ( SparrowTraps.net) this past winter. Old ribbon strips were silver sparkled & seemed to work just right. But this new is red shiny on one side & shiny silver on other side. I just put the spooker on my box (finally have 2 eggs) and WOW – it really is almost scary in the wind with that red & sun hitting it just right. I’m a little apprehensive about how mama blue will take to this “new contraption” to her box. I put it up right after lunch today so she would have time to get used to it this afternoon, but the box is in an area which I cannot see readily without going outside. I imagine it will keep HOSP away but am a little leary about mama when she goes to lay another egg tomorrow. Anyone here had experience with this new tape/ribbon?

Scot
      Participant

In that regard, should the spooked be used for TRES as well? I have both Blues and TRES.

Carol – Mid-Mo.
        Participant

Scot, yes, HOSP will attack anything I believe, so any desirable native you want I believe should have a spooker. Don’t know if you have them yet in your area, but we also use a wren guard for the house wrens, as sometimes they are as much threat as a HOSP. Of course, they are a native bird and protected by law. But I have had eggs raided (thrown on the ground & pierced) several times when I maybe did not get the wren guard up soon enough. All these predator controls help, but nothing is foolproof!!

Carol – Mid-Mo.
          Participant

Well, I got my question answered just now. Went out I checked BB box and I have another eggs, 3 now. So I guess this bright red flying mylar did not scare off mama blue. Yeah!!

dogsandbirds

TRES might not need a spooker due to their “hanging in the hole” habit but it’s worth a shot. If they tolerate it, all is well.

Gin
              Atlanta, GA

tamsea

I have about 8 TRES pairs that nest at my house each year. Anyone want any? 😉 HOSP have gone in and destroyed their eggs but only once or twice. The TRES seem much better at defending their boxes so I stopped putting spookers on them.

Tammy

Lisa
                Participant

I just put up the red and silver Mylar tonight. Hope it works as well for me!

BZ–W Ctrl MO
                  Participant

I have been using a red reflective (prismatic) mylar with a bright silver foil backing for three years now, with great success (four successful fledges). The BB seem to take to it well. This year I didn’t get it installed until the third egg, and the female went in the box almost immediately. I have 5 eggs as of today.

BZ–W.Ctrl MO

Carol – Mid-Mo.
                    Participant

Thanks everyone – apparently this red/silver mylar ribbon is not all that new, but I had just used up my first batch of two rolls of all silver (from 2008) this past year and needed more. Apparently, all is well.

Love my blues!
                      Participant

My sparrow spooker is the same one from Blaine Johnson with red Mylar. No problems on my end.

Lisa
                        Participant

Mine was accepted too! Yay! Dad is not impressed though as he quit bombing me as he used to but I have 3 eggs now so I think mom is fine with it…

Love my blues!
                          Participant

Yay, Lisa!! So happy to hear! What did you decide to do about wren guard?

Nicole

Scot
                            Participant

Hi All,

First egg laid yesterday. I went out and put the spookier up this morning. This is the first time I’ve ever used one. I’m extremely paranoid my pair will be sufficiently freaked and never come back….LOL.

Can anyone allay my concerns?

Exactly when do you take it down? AFTER they fledge?

Also, I have monofilament on the box. Would anyone recommend removing it now that eggs are being laid?

Thanks.

Scot

Lisa
                              Participant

Nicole, I did the most basic thing ever but so far so good. I couldn’t find anything commercially available so cut a shoe box end off and tacked it onto the sloping roof. So far so good. I’m sure I could have done something less unattractive but I’ve been super pinched for time and I could do it in the dark. It obscures the hole but mom flies in and out easily. I’m afraid if I do have wrens they already know what’s in there so fingers crossed!

Lisa
                                Participant

Scot, this was my first sparrow spooker use too. Put it up after egg one and have a new one every day. Heck, it even looks scary to me! The HOA is gonna have a field day.
                                  But yes, take it down after fledge so the sparrows don’t get used to it.
                                  I can’t imagine who invented this crazy thing and how it works???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.