Assistance with HOSP

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Assistance with HOSP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Bobs Farm
    Participant

Ok, well the three bird boxes are up and I’m checking daily. For the last week I’ve pulled out two House Sparrow nests. I have a pair of blues that I see early morning and of an evening in my yard. By sitting back and watching I believe I have a group of 7 house sparrows in my area. I’m attempting to deal with them (close your eyes, hope this doesn’t offend some of you) with a Air powered BB gun. I’ve seen and heard a lot
      Of trap names on here and other websites so I figured I would ask for suggestions. I’m hoping if I can get rid of there 7 I might be clear of them. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

River
      Participant

I would order a Van Ert sparrow trap. While waiting for it to arrive, I would hone my marksmanship skills. If you’re already a crack shot, my condolences to the sparrows.

Fred
        Waleska, GA
        NestboxBuilder

tamsea

Ditto, to what Fred said.

Tammy

Bobs Farm
          Participant

Call me a newb, but once I catch them in the box how do I dispose of them?

River
            Participant

Info here

Fred
              Waleska, GA
              NestboxBuilder

Bobs Farm
              Participant

Thank you, next step? Or what do you do to finish them off 😱

tamsea

Hey, Bob. You can find options on eliminating them here. http://www.sialis.org/hospdispatch.htm If you’d like info on what is the most popular ways I’ll personal message you that.

Tammy

Love my blues!
                  Participant

Hi Tammy-

I would be interested in best ways to euthanize & dispose of HOSP. I’m going to start trapping, but that is my biggest question & dilemma. Could you personal message me when you get a chance about this? Would be very helpful. Thanks!

Nicole
                    Birmingham, AL

tamsea

Yes, let me get my act together this morning and I’ll PM both of you.

Tammy

Bobs Farm
                      Participant

Thank you

tamsea

SEnt you both a PM. Hope it worked and you can see everything. If not, let me know.

Tammy

tamsea

Bob, sorry about your personal message being in code like that. I re-sent it. Let me know if it works. If it doesn’t work then maybe we will have to do it by email instead.
                            Nicole, how was your message? Was it readable?

Tammy

Bobs Farm
                            Participant

Thank you for the second message, it was readable. Appreciate you taking the taking the time to do that.

Bob

Love my blues!
                              Participant

Tammy- I responded to your PM & asked another question about disposal. Very helpful & let me know if you have any additional feedback to my question. Thanks so much for your help!

Nicole

Rich K
                                Participant

You can’t go wrong with the repeating sparrow trap from sparrowtraps.net. I use this with great success. Put it on the ground and use millet. Put a little of the millet around the entrance and you WILL catch them. I had 9 males in Feb in one day. Then I simply issue them a blindfold, a cigarette and execute them at dawn.
                                  Be SURE to check on a regular basis to release birds other than HOSP’s (I have even had BLJA’s in there – twice!!). It is the most effective way to capture the little buggers. :TwoHosp:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.