My bluebirds have started to build a nest in the new nestbox. I thought that it might be fun to watch the progress and show the steps for those that have not seen the stages of building the nest.
1. Claim the nestbox by building the early base circle. A few pine needles and grass blades will do. Let dry if damp.
2. Add grass and pine needles to form the base for the nest.
3. Continue to add material to the nest.
4. Add needles, grass and light weed sprigs to begin wall construction of the nest. Female will normally position material into the circular shape as male is out looking for more grass and needles, or hanging around the feeder.
5. Both Bluebirds have been bringing pine needles and grass to the nestbox. The female shapes the material into the traditional circle sided nest. Notice the even growth of the sides. It is almost at the right height.