Happy Day! Surprise second nesting

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Happy Day! Surprise second nesting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    phillyblues
    Participant

Thrilled today as I haven’t checked the boxes on my trail in a couple of weeks. My first nesting fledged in early June and I thought it was over since I hadn’t seen any bluebirds around since. Last week I checked and I saw a couple of straws of grass but I wasn’t positive it was bluebirds. So today I checked and a full bluebird nest was in there! I snapped a photo blindly of it and when I check the photo after getting home I saw a beautiful blue egg! So excited. OF course this particular box was a death trap in the early spring….two dead swallows and one dead bluebird. So I am praying they are safe! (10 minutes northwest of Philadelphia)
      bluebird egg second nesting

tamsea

congrats! I’m on my second too but mine are about to fledge. A suggestion..help her out and cover that bottom wire base with something. Those babies won’t fair well when they hatch and their legs get caught in that. I don’t appreciate the wire base for that very reason.

Tammy

Congratulations on the nesting. Hope that it goes well. You might get a Sparrow Spooker up if you have not done so already, as a precaution. I also agree with Tammy that you need to cover that wire base. A couple pinches of grass clippings should do the trick and Mama bird will pack it down to a nice bowl.

David

David
        Stafford, VA

dogsandbirds

If you’re going to use grass it should be totally dry and brown. Normally a female would gather that to line the cup. I wonder why this one didn’t.

Gin
          Atlanta, GA

Scot
          Participant

My pair have made their third nest without laying a single egg. Very frustrating.

Scot
            Collegeville, PA

Maybe they are just playing house :Cough:

Hang in there Scot. These birds do strange things sometimes, as you have seen with your pair.

David
            Stafford, VA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
            Participant

Tammy & Gin & PhillyBlues – I was about to ask about that wire on the bottom of the box, and in zooming in it looks like to me that there was some grass on the bottom and the wire is over that. Guess my question is, is that wire built into the box or was it added after the nest was started? I, too, believe it would be possible for a baby to get its legs in this wire. Congratulations on this new nesting!

BZ–W Ctrl MO
              Participant

Why is the wire mesh in the box at all? Is it to protect the nest if the bottom of the box gets wet? I’ve never seen this before.

BZ

tamsea

Maybe for wetness but I’ve read where it helps with blowfly infestation. http://bluebirdnut.com.50-22-24-130.servelink.com/registration/ But most of us here aren’t fond of them and blow flies would just crawl up through the screen anyway.

Tammy

Rich K
                  Participant

I have successfully lifted my nests with a small hamburger flipper and removed blowfly larvae. I do this every 3rd morning. Mom and Dad don’t like it but I am very careful and had success with no injury to the babes.

phillyblues
                    Participant

Thanks for all the replies. I believe the screen was sold as easy cleanup. I have to say I am terrified of moving the egg and addind grass. I just don’t want to risk cracking them (there are 3 or 4 now)!

Carol – Mid-Mo.
                      Participant

Need to think about having a baby get foot caught & can’t get food from parents or fledge. I had to move eggs one time because of a very wet/nasty nest and I WAS very nervous, but everything went smoothly & they hatched okay. Just have to be very careful & gentle. There is probably specific instructions on the http://www.sialis.org website. Whatever you decide, good luck!

dogsandbirds

Get a plastic spoon and remove them one at a time. Put them in a paper towel lined bowl. Add dry BROWN grass or dry straw. Replace eggs. That’s all there is to it and beats having a chick get caught.

Gin
                          Atlanta, GA

phillyblues
                          Participant

Mission accomplished! I lowered the box, m
                            Carefully removed the egss and took some nest off the top and put it over the screen. Hopefully that does it. I still haven’t seen mom. Only 3 eggs still. Will that be it? Also do they not need to sit on them when it’s a really hot day?

Rich K
                            Participant

If it is really hot she won’t brood the eggs very much during the day. The eggs need to be 95 and above and they know when it is time. I found my second clutch momma to be off the nest more than on it. Does she fly by when you check it? You say it is on a trail so not sure how often you can check. Pretty much guaranteed very early morning she is on the nest. I doubt she abandoned – they are very committed ones eggs are laid. Do you have a Sparrow Spooker up? If not that is critical. If you know when the last egg was laid count 12-14 days beyond and that should be the first hatching. I find the female is much more visible during brooding of the eggs and the male is usually out at the club having a couple of drinks and eating like most men. He does show up when they hatch and is very active in feeding the babes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.