How many blues fledged from your boxes…..

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter How many blues fledged from your boxes…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    blue diamonds
    Participant

I thought it would be fun to report all of our bluebird fledgling success for season 2019. Here is my report:

I have 2 sets of paired boxes. Had bluebirds nest in one box of each pair with the other boxes remaining empty. Two nestings for each. Total eggs 14. Total fledged 8. House wrens were the biggest problem for ruining eggs…..grrrr.

Overall it was a good season for me. This is the first time I’ve had repeat nestings. I’m sorry to see it end. My blues are gone over winter, but I’m already looking forward to next spring‼️ Happy Birding.

Judy-Michigan

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

I had 3 nestings of Bluebirds this year – 1st nest 5 eggs, only 4 hatched & fledged. 2nd nest 5 eggs hatched, only 4 fledged (one died in box). 3rd nest 5 eggs, only 4 hatched and also fledged. Total of 15 eggs but 12 actually fledged. Pretty good year, considering all the rain & storms.

I had 3 nestings this year – 1 nestbox. First nesting – 4 eggs, 4 fledged. Second nesting – 5 eggs 5 hatched but only 4 fledged. (1 hatched late and was under the other 4 birds. Third nesting – 4 eggs, 3 have fledged – 1 still in the box waiting for cooler weather. 13 eggs, 12 fledged total.

Nice idea Judy. Does anyone report their data to Cornell University?

David
        Stafford, VA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
        Participant

David, that one is still there? – boy is he stubborn, or else just a runt. I was thrilled to get mine out of the last nest because of the heat we have had last few days, index into low 100’s. But supposed to cool down the next few days. Can’t get any worms shipped either, at least those close to me. Maybe next week.

Thanks Carol. I just checked again (5:15 PM) and he is still there. I had not seen the parent birds this afternoon and thought it might be gone but when I slightly opened the door – there he was just lounging in the nest. Maybe Tomorrow.

David
          Stafford, VA

nhhawk6
          Participant

Two nestings, for me, each with five eggs and five fledglings. No issues. Always nice to have 10 new blues, but the pair has been lounging around for over a month, and no third nest. They never show interest despite plenty of favorable weather remaining. Same every year.

Randy
            Bedford, New Hampshire

Good to hear Randy.

David
            Stafford, VA

blue diamonds
            Participant

I belong to the Michigan Bluebird Society – they collect data from members and report the totals in a newsletter in November/December. Always fun to see how many have fledged from bluebird boxes. They may share the information with Cornell University, but I do not know. When I get the newsletter I will report their findings.

David, hope your last baby has fledged by now. Maybe he liked having the nest to himself.

So far between the 4 of us that reported we have fledged 42 bluebirds…….not bad‼️

Judy-Michigan

dogsandbirds

First nest: 5 eggs, all fledged
                Second nest: 4 eggs, one removed by a cowbird then EABL laid another. 2 hatched and fledged.
                Third nest: 4 eggs, 3 hatched and fledged.

So that’s only 10 fledged here but I’m happy considering the cowbird incident.

Gin
                Atlanta, GA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
                Participant

Gin, all 3 of my boxes had 5 eggs laid but only ended up with 12 fledging. I am blaming the trouble with too small of a box, with 5 eggs – I only had 1 box actually hatch 5 eggs, but one baby died in the box prior to fledging – still believe it is the smaller floor of my Gilwood boxes. We are going to experiment and make one with a little larger floor this winter. Next season will be here before we know it.
                  P.S. I am finally going to get some mealworms shipped next week – been too hot and they would not ship them. I have between 6-7 blues coming to the bowl regularly, PLUS the last 4 fledged 5 days ago and will be coming back very soon. Even being very frugal with the worms, that many can really put them away. My bowl is empty in less than 5 minutes when they all come.

blue diamonds
                  Participant

Five bluebird caregivers have reported their success so far, totaling 52 fledglings. I think that is wonderful……we can make a difference.

Judy-Michigan

Carol – Mid-Mo.
                    Participant

Judy, yes, we can make a difference. By the way, what kind of pet is in your profile picture?

blue diamonds
                      Participant

Carol, I believe it’s a bengal tiger cub. It was taken in Mexico, the money was to go to protect the animals. I have since found out it was most likely a scam to make money for themselves. As an animal lover that makes me sad. The cub was super cute, but was surprised by it’s fur being very wiry.

Judy-Michigan

Sassy
                        Participant

Judy, I think this count is a great idea. I have 2 boxes but only one was used. The first nest had 5 eggs but one disappeared, the 4 remaining eggs hatched and fledged. The second nesting had 4 eggs, all hatched and fledged.
                          So a total of 8 new blue birds in Western PA in the sky.

Connie

blue diamonds
                          Participant

New tally with Connie’s entry, 60 fledglings from 6 bluebird caregivers. That give us an average of 10 per person. Well done‼️

Judy-Michigan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.