I need advice on Chickadee nesting

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter I need advice on Chickadee nesting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Puppygroomer
    Participant

My father has had Bluebirds nest on his property a few times. This year a pair of Chickadees won the rights to the box! They had 9, yes 9 little ones. They were about 6 days old when tragedy struck. You guessed it, House Sparrows! Killed them all, sickening!
      Is there a way to help them, if we are lucky enough to get more someday, to try and discourage the Sparrows????
      I read about the hole reducer for House Wrens but is there something else???
      Thanks for any and all opinions on this topic!

dogsandbirds

You could try a spooker and see if they will tolerate it. They might if you introduce it gradually and do it during egg laying. What did you do about that HOSP?

There is no hole reducer small enough to keep out a HOWR and admit any other bird.

Gin
        Atlanta, GA

Love my blues!
        Participant

Lisa, that makes me so sick! Chickadees are on the decline. You can use a hole reducer for Chickadees to keep HOSP out. 1 & 1/8, I think? My understanding is to put hole reducer on after 1st egg has been laid by Chickadee. Someone with more experience can comment further. So sorry!

Nicole

dogsandbirds

Sadly a 1 & 1/8 will admit a HOSP. I do use that size to keep out EABL if a CACH starts in a box of mine.

Gin
            Atlanta, GA

Love my blues!
            Participant

Oh Gin- that’s so disappointing to hear. I had heard that the 1 1/8 hole reducer would keep HOSP out. I guess that makes sense, though, because they are smaller than EABL. Those poor Dees! Hate it for them!

Nicole

Donna in WI
              Participant

A 1 1/8 reducer will keep a HOSP out of the nestbox. They need a 1 1/4 inch to get in. I have two nest of Dees right now, each incubating 6 eggs (I had 8 & 9 count last year). One of my boxes is just in the woods line, that one has a wren guard (with sides) on it as we always get wrens. Wrens have been here for well over a week now, maybe two and so far so good. My other box with Dees is not in wren territory. During nestbuilding a HOSP was trying to claim the box. I put up a sparrow spooker and she went on to lay the 6 eggs. The other day a pair of Bluebirds were sitting on the sparrow spooker so I added a 1 1/8″ reducer the to box. The Dee accepted it right away. Hopefully they will make it. Chickadees are very tolerant of wren guards even put up during nestbuilding. Just don’t add the sides right away. If no bird can see the hole, they are less likely to try to check it out.

Sorry about your Dees, so sad!

Donna in WI

Scot
                Participant

Can any of you advise where to purchase the wren guard and sparrow spooker? I have no problem at the current time, but would like to be proactive.

Thanks.

Scot
                  Collegeville, PA

Love my blues!
                  Participant

Thanks for clarifying, Donna, about the 1 & 1/8″ hole reducer. I got one for that very reason in case I get Dees. Glad to know that you’re helping them along!

Scot, I went online & bought my sparrow spooker & pretty sure most people make their wren guards. Don’t get HOWR, so will let others comment on wren guard. Will look to see where I purchased spooker & get back to you. Lots of people make theirs, too. Think Sialis site outlines how to make/provide both (pretty sure).

Nicole

Love my blues!
                    Participant

Ok, Scot- http://www.sparrowtraps.net from Blaine Johnson. Paid ~ $25 for it. Also, just saw that on this site under topics, there’s “how to make a wren guard.” Hope that helps!

Thanks to Cher for providing this forum for us all!

Nicole

Puppygroomer
                      Participant

Thank you for all of this information. I feel terrible that I didn’t know these things in time. Live and learn!
                        Since it happened on my fathers property, he also does Sparrow patrol so hopefully he is gone!

Puppygroomer
                        Participant

Hello Scot, my name is Lisa. I see you are from Collegeville Pa., I’m in Phoenixville!
                          Good luck to you!

Scot
                          Participant

Hi Lisa.

Small world…..

The Original Bluebird Nut
                            Admi-nut-strator

Scot, I think many of us learned by trial and error. You can’t change the past, so just go on from here using what you’ve learned.

Central NY
                              TMB Studios

Donna in WI
                              Participant

Scot yes wren guards are just homemade. Cardboard, a pair of scissors and duct tape and you are set! Here is a pic of mine on my Dee box.

I first put it up without the sides, then added these sides and then later made the sides a bit longer. The sides prevent the wren from landing on the top of the house and looking over the edge and seeing the hole.

IMG_7471a8

Donna in WI

dogsandbirds

A 1 1/8 reducer will keep a HOSP out of the nestbox. They need a 1 1/4 inch to get in.

Apparently I SO didn’t know that. I always thought they could enter a 1 & 1/8.

Gin
                                  Atlanta, GA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.