Only a bluebird lover would…..

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Only a bluebird lover would…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tamsea

……carry a container of 500 mealworms in her purse while she did Christmas shopping at the mall. We’ve been out of town and when my husband reported that the bluebirds came to our back door in search of mealworms in these sub zero temps I had to make an emergency run to WBU to get some….forgetting they would die if I left them in the car while Christmas shopping.

Tammy

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

Oh, Tammy – that is one for the books! Almost as bad as me keeping mine in my regular refrigerator hidden on an “extended” shelf on the bottom! It’s like a ledge and wonderful for my plastic oblong containers of worms! No one but hubby & I know there are there, and I clean out boxes regularly so no smell at all.

tamsea

I keep mine in my regular fridge too. They are on the bottom or sometimes second to the bottom shelf in the back. :)

Tammy

Dana
          Participant

So good to hear your bluebirds have returned Tammy! I will have to try the live mealworms sometime. I read the bluebirds really love them.

Dana / Lancaster, PA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
            Participant

I switch to peanut butter suet in the wintertime – don’t have to worry about the worms freezing when I put them out, PLUS a little relief on the pocketbook! Every morning just after daybreak I have about 7 or 8 blues waiting for the suet – there must be some from the 1st hatching, but then again may be from the last fledgers which I never did see come back to the feeder and assumed they did not make it. When I was feeding worms at the end of the season I only had 4 or 5 coming around.
              P.S. Merry Christmas to everyone – have some family coming in from Texas and it is forecast 62 degrees on Christmas Day!! (We had 5 below zero a couple days ago).

tamsea

Thanks, Dana. Actually I haven’t seen them since my husband told me they came around. :( If you are feeding suet or dried mealworms successfully I’d just stick with that. Mealworms get pricey and are just a bother sometimes.

Carol, Merry Christams to you too. It’s been very cold here for the past few days. But that’s expected here.

Tammy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.