Saw my first HOSP today

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Saw my first HOSP today

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lisa
    Participant

I’ve dealt with everything but HOSP. Saw one in my birdbath today and papa blue chased him away. I have a completed nest with no eggs. How wrong would it be to deploy the sparrow spooker since this is their 4th nest and not likely to be afraid of it?

nhhawk6
      Participant

Lisa, personally, I would not hesitate to deploy it. I simply don’t think experienced blues care. Besides, do you want your baby blues raised by some parents who are afraid of a little red mylar? They make balloons out of it… BALLOONS! :)

Randy
        Bedford, New Hampshire

Lisa
        Participant

Thanks! That was my gut! The blues are so used to it I would be shocked if they rejected it!

Cardon
          Participant

You just don’t want it up too early because the HOSP will get used to it.

Lisa
            Participant

That was my dilemna…

Maybelle
              Participant

You would probably be okay putting it up early, but I am always reluctant to do that. I would probably gamble that putting it up right after that first egg would still beat any HOSP attack.

If, however, the HOSP is showing interest in the box like sitting on top and yelling for a mate to “come see”, I have found the fastest and simplest way to tell him “No” is with a Van Ert Universal Sparrow Trap. This is faster and addresses the specific offending HOSP better than my revolving door trap. The male is known to find a site and call for a female. But while he waits he goes in and out. That’s when the door goes shut and his story is over.
                :TwoHosp:

Cari
                Willamette Valley, Oregon

Lisa
                Participant

First egg today so only a day early. First HOSP I have ever seen in my yard and he fled from papa blue quickly.
                  Now I have a wren guard dilemma…see post above…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.