They're back!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter They're back!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    verachuckdave
    Participant

Well, I hadn’t seen a bluebird since the last fledge on August 1. Yesterday, my adult blues were back on the spouting of the house, and a juvenile was at the peak of a nearby tree. They didn’t hang around for long, but I was thrilled to see them back. Today, I made sure there were meal worms in the pan, and papa blue popped in for a quick snack.

I recently got a blue cage feeder that I am “breaking in.” Now that I have seen a bluebird at the old feeder, I was planning to move that one closer and closer to the new feeder in small stages. I know that many of you have the blue cage feeder. I was just wondering how you mounted the feeder. Did you put it on a pole? Mine is hanging on a shepherd’s hook. How close to the birdhouse do you have your cage feeder? Just curious.

Susan
      Pennsylvania

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

Susan, glad your blues have returned! That is always a fun time. As far as how close the cage feeder should be to their House (is that what you mean?), I don’t believe it should be real close as that draws other birds and they may remember come nesting season. Mine is mounted on my wooden deck rail on my own home, where my nectar feeders are. But a shepherd’s hook is good, just not too close to the box, maybe 20-40 feet or more, whatever room you have. I have a tree where they always perch about 25′ away from my deck & about 25 or 30′ from their house, and that works great because they maybe eat awhile and then wait for the rest of the family in the tree, but not too long, as they usually have them all gone in less than 5 minutes. You & they will figure it out. P.S. The deck railing thing is great because I just step out the patio door to feed – great in the winter!

verachuckdave
        Participant

Thanks for the input! I like the deck rail idea. That would be convenient in the winter. :-)

Susan
          Pennsylvania

Lisa
          Participant

Mine is hanging from a small tree in the backyard. About 30 feet from the birdhouse. Now my birds have their babies 2 doors down and the parents definitely remember where the feeder is.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.