How many days to fledge

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter How many days to fledge

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Puppygroomer
    Participant

I would agree. Usually right after mine have fledged the only way to find them for the few days is to feed the parents and watch with binoculars to find them. What a rewarding feeling to see that first one, which are usually huddled with the others.

Unless you are using a mealworm feeder and your parent birds use it regularly to feed their little ones you will rarely see the young after they fledge. There is another person here in Stafford that has photos of the families of blue birds that come back to his feeder for mealworms and water. The little ones are probably around but they are well hidden in the trees like Gin said. Look on the power lines early in the day if you have them near your house. I have seen several families of birds on the lines over the years. Don’t be surprised if you all of the young are not there. The young are very vulnerable to predators (hawks, kestrels, etc.) in their first few weeks out of the box.

David
      Stafford, VA

Love my blues!
      Participant

I have two juveniles coming back to my feeder from 1st brood. Could be they’re the only survivors after 6 fledged 5 weeks ago. These 2 are always together & adorable!

Nicole

Well, I stand corrected on my last post. It is not necessary to have been trained to a mealworm feeder. Here are 2 of the young from may last fledge in May back on the shepherds hook in the yard waiting on mama bird who is in the nestbox laying a 3rd egg in the second clutch.

David
        Stafford, VA

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.