Sparrow Spooker and Sparrow Guard

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Sparrow Spooker and Sparrow Guard

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sherri
    Participant

Nest has been built, but so far we have no eggs. I’ve been watching from work very closely with a video monitoring system. Blues are very active and guarding the box. There are sparrows. I have seen them on top of the box and they have entered the box – especially in the morning. I do have sparrow traps. Since I am unable to be home during the day as I work, I was wondering about thoughts regarding putting up the sparrow guard before the eggs are in the box and then once the first egg is in the box take the guard down and attach the Spooker? Will this guard scare the blue birds away? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Love my blues.

Carol – Mid-Mo.
      Participant

Sherri, what kind of “guard” are you talking about, other than the spooker? If you mean the fishing line, I truly don’t know, but too many “things” on the box is very likely likely to keep the blues from laying 1st egg. If you have monitoring system, I would just keep watch & try best you can to keep the HOSP away – do you have a 2nd box to keep the HOSP busy at? I find this is truly a great way to keep them away from where the blues are building. The secret is to let a pair get committed to the box & then set a Van-Ert trap to catch/deploy them.

Sherri
        Participant

Thanks for responding!
          “The Shield is an aluminum metal ring suspended by a bracket above the nesting box roof. And hanging from the ring are 4 weighted monofilament lines that extend below the bottom of the box. The vertical hanging lines force a bird to fly between them to enter the box. It’s been found that House Sparrows dislike doing this while bluebirds and other native birds don’t mind it. The key for this product to work though is that it must be installed on the house before the sparrows claim the box. If they are already established sitting on the box or building a nest, the Shield may not work.”

Yes. I do have another box up not too far from the box the bluebirds are using, but Sparrows seem to be more interested in the box where the blues are. Sparrows have also built a nest up inside of my gazebo. I was waiting to pull out that nest after the blues get the first egg in the box and I am able to put the chaser up. I’m so worried that she is going to lay her first egg and the sparrow will get to it before I am able to put the chaser up. I also have a friend that stops by the house every day between 12:00/1:00 to let my dogs out And she checks to see if there is an egg. If there is an egg she will put the chaser up at that time. The nest has been built for about a week now. I’m thinking there should be an egg soon. Daddy blue was in tree right beyond the nest box guarding it this morning. hopefully an egg will arrive soon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.