July 6, 2016 at 6:14 pm #2543GamiPamiParticipant
I don’t know what to do, I monitored the 2nd brood with the 5th & last egg that was layed On June 13th, if 14 days is normal, clearly today being July 6th are they no longer alive inside? Momma & Papa have been in & out all day long and it seems with pics taken they are still being turned. I also got a pic on the 27th of June with Momma on the eggs. Please help.
Gami PamiJuly 6, 2016 at 7:31 pm #2545Carol – Mid-Mo.Participant
Gami Pami – the only thing I can think of is that she did not begin incubating immediately, but even if it was 2 or 3 days after the last egg (unusual) this would still put them way late for hatching. Are you real sure about the last egg date? I know sometimes I write in my notes something wrong and then catch it later on. I believe It is a little unusual for papa to be going in & out when she is supposed to be incubating – maybe he senses there is something wrong. Sure hope your dates are wrong. Only thing you can do is wait a while longer.
Pami, do you have a heat shield on your box? That real hot spell we had here in Missouri around June 23-25 was brutal. We were going to Branson for a few days and I had a nest but no eggs and went ahead & put on the shield, which is not normal, because the forecast was upper 90’s for several days. When I got home she had laid 2 eggs, so I was glad I went ahead and put it on.
Sure hope everything is okay there – keep us informed.July 6, 2016 at 8:19 pm #2546GamiPamiParticipant
No Carol, I did not know to put up a heat shield, :( And you are so right it was in the upper 90’s the time they should have been hatching. IF I could post a pic of the 5 eggs it was a dated pic,but don’t remember how.
PamiJuly 6, 2016 at 10:00 pm #2548Carol – Mid-Mo.Participant
Pami, Cher has info on posting pictures under “Posting Tips for New Forum” which is 3rd from the very top of all posts. Scroll down to find that information on posting pictures. Little awkward at first but gets easier once you use photobucket or other site. I’m sure you are correct about the date on the picture, so that really isn’t the question. It’s whether those eggs are still viable, and you will probably have to leave it up to the mama on that one. She surely will quit sitting on them if they do not hatch soon. It’s a wait & see I believe. After a few more days you will have to decide and if you believe they might build another nest (probably getting late for this), you could remove the nest & eggs so they could try again. BUT you really need to wait a few more days I believe. Others posters – chime in here – she needs help!July 7, 2016 at 12:06 am #2549tamseaModerator
A some point you’ll have to decide to remove them but I’d give them a little more time….just in case.
TammyJuly 7, 2016 at 11:01 am #2550Rich KParticipant
I think the eggs are no longer viable. Even if she didn’t start brooding until a couple days after laying. Could be an infertile male/female or the heat may have killed the eggs. My understanding is temps about 105/106 will spoil the eggs. I had the same issue with the first clutch, likely due to a cold spell for the first 2 eggs. They never did hatch and momma left them in the nest with the one fledgling (who I see every day now helping to feed the second clutch). It’s tough to face, but happens in nature all the time. You are just experiencing it first hand.July 7, 2016 at 2:53 pm #2556Donna in WIParticipant
They probably are non viable by now but I would still wait until the female decides she is done. I had a female one year with no male and she laid eggs, none hatched. When she finally decided they weren’t going to hatch she built a nest in another box and laid more eggs, none hatched. Crazy bird. I didn’t remove either nest until I knew she was done with it.
Donna in WIJuly 8, 2016 at 5:28 pm #2567dogsandbirdsModerator
I think it’s best not to remove a nest and eggs until the female quits. You can dot the eggs with a sharpie and when they don’t shift for 24 hours you can remove everything if you want. It’s really sad.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.