So, Momma laid her last egg April 14th. They are still not hatched. Do you think all 4 eggs are not viable? Not sure if to remove the nest. She is still brooding them. We did have a cold spell like everyone else. I feel sick.
i can relate to the sick feeling. But – i would be patient, if she is still brooding them. It may be just taking longer because of the cold weather we have been having. Sialis website says usually 12 to 14 days, but it could be longer (google said up to 20 days.) I would feel even sicker if i thought i had thrown out a viable egg.
Good advice Chris. The cold weather has had an affect on my birds also (delay of a day +. We got hit by the same cold snap that you had o possibly a little warmer but 4 days of night time temps in the mid 30s and lo 40s and day temps around 50.
Rich – as long as she is still brooding they still may be viable.
Hi Rich, I hope 🤞 you have better news to report soon. It is nerve wracking waiting for things to happen. I expected my brood to fledge in 17 days but it was 20, so I think this see-saw weather has things messed up. Keep us informed.
Still not hatched. She is still brooding them. Pappa was active a lot yesterday in the yard and I was hopeful. I just don’t get this. Maybe she removed the previous eggs and laid 4 more but that is highly unlikely. I would think instinct would kick in and she would abandon them if they were not viable. I did contact NABS and they suggested waiting a full 30 days before removing the eggs. I feel awful, like I personally did something wrong but that is not the case. First time this has ever happened to me.
On a bright note, a friend who’s box I set up for this year has a nest. He is thrilled.
Keeping the faith here.