Please Introduce Yourself!

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Please Introduce Yourself!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    NickNackHummer
    Participant

Welcome Molla. I just noticed you had posted in the Introduce Yourself forum. I’ve only had one bluebird nesting this year, too, but it’s because I’ve had house sparrow and house wren problems. Are you still feeding mealworms? I don’t know why you aren’t seeing them if you’re still offering the mealworms. There are a lot more experienced bluebirders on this forum than I am. If you post again in the main forum rather than in the introduce yourself forum I’m sure you’ll get more replies.

Carol
      East Tennessee

marshmama
      Participant

Ah, thanks for this suggestion, I will!

JudiOregon
        Participant

My name is Judi and I live in Salem, Oregon. My son built me a birdhouse (just for looks) a couple of years ago. I introduced him to the idea that there’s a reason why some have perches and some don’t, why some have small holes and some large, and why the roofs generally aren’t flat. So, after some modifications, I “planted” the house in my backyard. Last year it was occupied, and that was my introduction Bluebirds! So I’ve been trying to catch up ever since. Last year ended sadly when the female didn’t return one day, leaving behind 6 beautiful blue eggs. This year I was thrilled to welcome another couple. So far we have become “good friends,” and they have three eggs so far. Your site is a Gold Mine of information, and I can feel the welcoming passion in all of you. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise.
          AND, since I don’t know my way around yet, can anyone tell me at what temperature the eggs cannot survive? We are day #2 at over 100 degrees… :o(

NickNackHummer
          Participant

Welcome Judi! There are a lot more experienced bluebirders on here than I am, so I will let them help you. I did want to let you know that on sialis.org there is a wealth of information about bluebirds. They say that a temperature of 107 is the highest they can survive. Many people put heat shields on their nest boxes if they’re in direct sun. I believe there are instructions for that on the sialis website.

I will post in the main forum and let everyone know you’re introduced yourself. A lot of people no longer check the Please Introduce Yourself forum. Please go ahead and post in the main forum. Congratulations on your new nest! I’m sorry you lost your first female. That’s always so sad.

Carol
            East Tennessee

JudiOregon
            Participant

Thanks,Carol!

mark
              Participant

Have been bluebirding for 8 years in west TC metro (MN). Use Glibertson and other popular designs.

Zip-a-dee doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay ... www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoEojphw7kk

flipper
                Participant

Hey all, new bluebird landlord here. Or at least hoping to be. I’m in southwest, rural Michigan and somehow decide bluebirds are my favorite when I’ve probably seen a blue bird 3-4 times max in my 41 years living here in SW Michigan. I’ve seen one twice on my parents road about 3 miles south of me, but never in town where I live. I have my box up and have slowly been introducing meal worms to my feeders. Being that I personally have never seen one in my neighborhood, is there any likelihood at all I’ll be able to get them to nest in my box?

Welcome to the forum “flipper.” Putting a bird house out is a start but not a guarantee. The birds will have to find your place and establish their territory. Since you have seen the blues in the area you can watch for them. Don’t be discouraged if the do not show up right away. One thing you must do is not to let house sparrows to establish a nest in the box. More on that in the other threads.
                  I am going to start a new thread there.

David
                  Stafford, VA

tamsea

Flipper. The mealworms don’t usually draw bluebirds to a feeder. A nestbox does though. Do you have it placed on a metal pole? Don’t put it on a tree because raccoons can raid it easily. Even if you use a metal pole it should be baffled. Also, the bluebirds kind of like open spaces so putting it on a tree would not help them find you.

Tammy

flipper
                    Participant

Thank you tamsea and David!

Yes, the box is on a metal pole and my yard is mostly open except a burning bush about 20 feet in front of the box. Also a relatively open, grassy area across the street from me. This morning, a few minutes ago, I heard an unfamiliar bird song and quickly googled the bluebird call and I am 90% sure that’s what I heard, so maybe I have a pair checking out the box!! 😁 I’ve been checking the box for possible sparrow nests. I am not looking forward to the possibility of having to destroy a sparrow nest, but I know it needs to be done if I want any chance of a bluebird family near me. Thanks again!

tamsea

It sounds like you have everything right. I’d just suggest that you buy a Van Ert trap. It goes inside your box. They only cost about $10. You install screws under the hole and when you have a house sparrow that is claiming that box you set the trap. A must because you’ll be so disappointed of you get bluebirds and a house sparrow takes over their nest or worse. Pulling nests doesn’t work. They will keep building. I had one that even got a new female 4 or 5 times and would not give up.https://vanerttraps.com/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by tamsea.

Tammy

GS
                        Participant

Hello,

My name is GS and I’m in northern Ohio. Disclaimer: I apologize for not sharing who I am or where exactly but I don’t put that information out in any forums or social media.

That said, spouse and I have 10 acres here and plenty of bluebirds. We do have many issues with sparrows, however, and despite doing everything we’ve read thus far re: battling them, we still lose some of our babies to them. We have 7 boxes up on our property, which is open, orchard, pond and woods. So we really have a great property for them excepting those dreaded sparrows. So I will be looking forward to reading what others have done outside the normal means of getting rid of them!

We also have Orioles, Tanagers: usually just one pair each. We do have 2 species of owls that nest in our woods or closeby, as well as a nesting pair of hawks and pair of Pileated woodpeckers. Lots of other ‘usual’ backyard birds. Just as an aside.

GS
                          Participant

Edit to my first post: I forgot to mention I just ordered the BBF1 feeder so am anxious to get this and set it up off our front porch. We already have 2 nesting pair of bluebirds preparing their nests, so it will be extra enjoyable watching them feed. Ohio’s temps can be all over the place in April so mealworms readily available will be a welcome addition to their diet.

Josie
                            Participant

Hi I am so happy I found this forum. I’m Josie from coastal South Carolina and my new obsession is bluebirds. I put out my first house and was thrilled when a pair started coming around which was about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I only saw the male for his brief visit. No sign of female. Any ideas ??

tamsea

Hi GS. Welcome. You’ll get more comments if you start a new thread instead of writing all of this under the introduction one. I know you are asked to introduce yourself here but not many people look at this. I am also from North Ohio. Near Toledo.
                                Concerning your house sparrow problems, you are trapping with an inbox type trap instead of removing nests? If you have a ton of house sparrows you might want to invest in a ground repeating trap. You can catch a ton that way.
                                But like I said, it will just be me talking to you in this thread so go ahead and start a new one.

Tammy

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 198 total)
                              • The topic ‘Please Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new replies.