Theeeeere Heeere

Home Forums Bluebird Chatter Theeeeere Heeere

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Low 50’s today. I have been stacking firewood that my neighbor split for me and stopped by the nest box to see if it was still clean (put it up back on March 1.) Here is what I found. I guess my working back and forth from the neighbors yard to my wood pile kept them away this afternoon. I think it is a bit early but we will see what happens. :bluesinbox:

David
    Stafford, VA

Carol – Mid-Mo.
    Participant

Cool, David – yes, it is a little early, but remember – they don’t read the rules!

Raining and cold today. I haven’t seen them this morning. They are probably across the street in the woods staying dry.

David
      Stafford, VA

Sassy
      Participant

Hi David, mine are doing the same but yours looks a little more organized than mine, seems like the first stuff was in a circular fashion, now she seems to be just dropping it anywhere. Guess she knows what she is doing.
        Connie (PA)

Second look. She is building, even using slightly damp grass.
        Connie, she might be dropping it and going to gather another batch before shaping it. You can still see the bottom of the box in this photo. She will probably fill that before she starts to lay the eggs. Who Knows? I am not sure how they build.

David
        Stafford, VA

Dana
        Participant

Hi David,
          That is wonderful news! I really enjoy seeing your photos of your Bluebirds! Once I can get rid of the H.Sparrows trying to take over my nestbox I think the bluebirds will move in. They are hanging around and checking out the box but the sparrows run them off. :ChewingOut:

Dana, it is hard to deal with sparrows in a “humane” way when they are such a threat to our bluebirds. Like some others here I have an air rifle. I have not had to use it for a few years though. 4 or 5 years ago it got daily use. Maybe I cleared my population or they went somewhere else ( I hope not up your way!). The other thing I did that may have impacted the presence of sparrows is that I took down all of my bird feeders and only left the humming birds nectar feeder.

David
          Stafford, VA

Sassy
          Participant

David, your nest is proceeding nicely. I have not looked in the box lately, lots of wet weather up this way. I did see Papa go in and remove a few pieces she put in. Guess he has specific ideas of what he wants his off spring to be raised in.
            Connie (PA)

Just an update – no activity for a couple of days with the rain and cold weather. I did see the female knock a sparrow (that I just said were not in my neighborhood) off the nest box! Sorry no camera – that would have been a great photo. Have to go get a new air rifle. Spring broke in the old one.

David
            Stafford, VA

Busy morning. the female was into and out of the box all morning with loads of building material. When I went to get my camera to get a shot of her with a beak full of grass she disappeared. She must be camera shy. I did go out to see what progress had been made. The nest looks almost complete. I think that she is filling in the bottom of the nest.

David
            Stafford, VA

Brought my camera out to the dining room where I can get photos quicker. Here is Papa bird surveying the woods possibly looking for Mama bird.

David
            Stafford, VA

It looks pretty much complete now. I still think that it is a little chilly for the first eggs but we will see.

David
            Stafford, VA

Sassy
            Participant

Pictures are great David. Have you seen the HOSP since Mama nailed him on the top of the box? I hope it has disappeared.
              Connie (PA)

Thanks Connie.
              I have not seen the HOSP since the incident. A couple of wrens have been in the yard, some titmice, robins, a few stray starlings and some cardinals. I do have 3 types of woodpeckers in the trees but none nesting.

David
              Stafford, VA

Well, I am very disappointed. It has been 2 weeks since that last picture and still no eggs.
              I see a male and female bird going in and out of the nest but no eggs. I looked at the nest again today and wonder if the latest visitors built a nest on top of a previous start. It does appear to be higher in the box than I have seen before. Would it be wise to clear the box and let the latest pair rebuild or would that send them away?

David
              Stafford, VA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.